diggers metal detecting find 1916 d merc

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bryantallard, Apr 16, 2014.

1. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

i was watching diggers on national geographic S3 E11 and they were in dodge city looking for artifacts relating to wyatt earp and bat masterson and one of them found 1916 d merc. could you imagine finding one?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Would be very cool, but my guess is that the show is staged.

Evom777, NOS and spirityoda like this.
  4. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

as with all "reality" shows were they try to find valubls.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

FWIW, I couldn't see the "D" at all. The coin was Fair-02 and completely smooth in the area of the mint mark.

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

edited: duplicate.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't believe that...I refuse to believe anything I see on Pawn Stars, American Pickers, or any other TV show I see on the "History" channel is anything but fully authentic and truthful. :joyful:o_O:D

But then again, I have been wrong before...lol.

Evom777 and Kentucky like this.
  9. bryantallard

10. bryantallard

I find it hard to believe that they would be allowed to go around digging holes on protected lands to drop things in the ground, and dig them back up. not to mention the fact that some of the stuff they pull up, there is no way ANYBODY would be doing that stuff. digging at graceland, and the kennedy home, and the site where the caught up with john wilkes booth. I get that sometimes SOME shows may be staged, but I don't see how they could get away with this if that were so. if you haven't seen the show, you should watch it. you would be surpised

11. bryantallard

yeah you never know. could have been maybe a corner piece or something. they said the Denver mint wasn't that far away either. but ringy going off that the coin in that condition could be worth THOUSANDS? he should stick to his rings lol

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

C-B-D likes this.
  13. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

OT: There is always the possibility, but if it comes from a source that requires ratings to improve their pay checks, then I'm not buying it.

14. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I don't find it hard to believe at all, but I guess that just means I'm more cynical than you are. Must come from having run a popular forum for a dozen years, ;). Yea, I've seen the show and it is one of the more interesting ones they do, but I still wouldn't put it past tv producers to fake it.

Evom777 and CamaroDMD like this.
  15. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Where's the D?
    dadadadad.jpg

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ya think?

And they are slightly retarded.

No one in the hobby uses their nicknamed like a 'nick' for a nickel, etc.

And their other idiotic terms.

Travlntiques and Evom777 like this.
  17. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

I think the person who inspected this coin had a letter D written on his/her glasses.

Evom777 likes this.
  18. CamaroDMD

I thought the 1916-D Mercury Dime had special known die markers that could prove it was a D even without the mint mark...much like the 1916 SLQ. Is that not the case?

NOS likes this.
  19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Personally, I'm with Peter on this one.

Most folks fail to realize and understand that these shows are for entertainment purposes and the producers and directors can do anything they want in order to boost viewership. This includes "staging finds". Check the credits and look for disclaimers.

Evom777 likes this.
  20. CamaroDMD

I'm in complete agreement with you guys. These shows are totally faked, maybe not a full 100% of the time, but regularly. My original post in this thread was an attempt at a joke.

21. silv

silv Active Member

Those guys give the hobby a bad impression. Idiots to the extreme, encouraged by the producers to be the dorkiest diggers in the world. Staged big time, these are not live digs.

Evom777 and CamaroDMD like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted