Determining Value of RAW Carson City Morgans

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by KingMidas, Feb 19, 2014.

1. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a pretty nice set of CC Morgans but they're raw and I want to sell them for PCGS slabbed coins. The problem is that I can't figure out how to find the value of the raw coins because I can't use something like a PCGS price guide since the coins are raw. Where could I find an accurate price guide for raw coins? I just need to know their value so I don't get screwed over when I go to sell but I also don't want to sell at the PCGS price, I find it dishonest since they aren't graded. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the advice.

KingMidas

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Before you can find out what the value is, you have to know for sure what the coins would actually grade. Do you know ?

4. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

If it is a nice set, why not just send them in to get graded?

BCK likes this.
  5. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

GDJMSP - Yes they have all been graded at a professional coin shop.

ROLLJUNKIE - I would rather keep upgrading my raw coins grade by grade as I get more money becasue I'm on a limited budget. Once I get all my coins to the highest grade I can afford I'll get them slabbed.

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

If they have all been graded...and you're confident they have been graded accurately, the best thing to do is look at online sales of similar coins. If not that, probably greysheet is the next best option.

imrich likes this.
  7. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

Thanks CamaroDMD, does anyone know what coin shops use to determine their prices for raw coins? The coin shop I have has a place they look and it lists the value of raw coins.

8. CamaroDMD

Often it's the Greysheet bid prices...but not always.

However, if you want to upgrade to nicer coins and minimize your loss...sell them yourself and don't take the wholesale price cut.

9. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

OK thank you I appreciate it. I'm getting ready to trade up a bunch of coins so I need to find the accurate value of the ones I have. Eventually I'll buy them slabbed but for now its cheaper to buy raw coins then trade in the old coin with a lower grade for the next highest grade I can afford. Once I get a high enough grade I'll sell the raw one and use that money plus some more of my own to buy a PCGS slabbed one. Thats the way I've been building my collection and it works great. My collection is worth about $5000 and I've only put about $3,500 in.

10. CamaroDMD

What is the grade range of your CC Morgans?

11. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

I would go into selling them just hoping to get your money back, otherwise you may be very disappointed. You may not even get that.

12. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

1878: AU58 - 1879 Capped Die: VF20 - 1880: MS60 - 1881: MS62 - 1882: MS64 - 1883: MS62 - 1884: AU58 - 1885: MS64 - 1889: Don't have one - 1890: MS60 - 1891 Spitting Eagle: AU55 - 1892: VG8 - 1893: VF30

13. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

Not sure what you mean by that I've paid less for my collection than its worth. If i sold it now I would make a decent profit.

14. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Nevermind. Forget I said anything.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What he's trying to tell you is that most people think the same thing you, that if they sold their collection they would have a profit. But the reality is that about 95% of collectors, when they sell their coins - lose money.

Now I just did a quick check on all your coins, current value is around $4000. But that is assuming that all of them ARE the grade your coin shop told you they were, and that they are ALL problem free. But in all honesty, that is very unlikely as most dealers tend to over-grade.

So if you are very lucky, you haven't lost too much. If you are not very lucky you could easily lose $1000-$1500 when you sell those coins.

imrich and ROLLJUNKIE like this.
  16. CamaroDMD

Exactly...and when you "trade up" it's like trading in a car. They give you wholesale trade value and you buy the new one at retail. The seller wins on both ends.

ROLLJUNKIE likes this.
  17. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

very much agree with the last post. It is very hard to make money buying and selling coins unless you really know what you are doing.

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think what Doug is trying to tell you in a polite way is that you need to learn to grade them yourself rather than rely on someone else to do it for you. Doug also alluded to the fact that an assumption was made that all of your coins are problem-free. Do you know for sure, or are you relying on someone else to tell you?

Your "plan" leaves the door open for too many overestimates. If you pay too much for a raw coin because it was over-graded, and you trade up for another over-graded raw coin, you have the potential to lose money on both ends of the deal.

Chris

19. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

I know how to grade I have the red book and PCGS has a pretty good photo grade program on their website. I'm also good friends with the coin store owner and he gives me pointers. And one coin was cleaned but as far as the rest no problems. I understand you guys think its a stupid plan but I haven't lost money yet.

20. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

No offense but there is a good chance you already lost money. You just haven't sold anything to realize that loss. I don't think anyone ever said it was a stupid plan, they were just telling you to educate yourself.
    Your original post was looking for answers on finding value to your coins and now you have flipped it around acting as though you know their values exactly. Were you just trying to throw out some bait and see if anyone offered to buy them?What exactly are you needing help with?

21. KingMidas

KingMidas New Member

I don't know their values. Knowing the grade of a coin and what it's worth are two separate things. What I was asking was is there a price guide for raw coins like the pcgs price guide. Since the coins are raw I can't value them based on that guide. I'm by no means an expert or ever said I knew their values hence the original question. All I said is I know how to grade them never said I was an expert there either I'm definitely new to this I can usually grade it within a grade or two then I ask my friend at the coin store to grade it. And no I wasn't trying to sell them either.

Draft saved Draft deleted