Cow City Coin Early 2014 Contest - PCGS Grade

Discussion in 'Contests' started by jester3681, Mar 12, 2014.

1. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

This really is a good idea for a contest. I'm surprised no one else thought of it before. At this point I don't really care if I win, I just want to GTG for whichever coin wins. :D Thanks for the contest jester!

jester3681 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I have debated entering this contest since I first saw it. After much deliberation, I selected my 1888 Seated Dime for entrance into this contest. I purchased it at a show a while back for a reasonable price. I liked it, and was happy to add it to my type set. Then, less than a week later, I walked into a coin shop and saw the coin which would quickly come to replace it. It was an 1891 Seated Dime, in low AU condition, with a beautiful bluish tone over the obverse with a similar color on the reverse. The reverse had a center spot that transitioned from blue to red which for some reason or another is really eye-catching. It was love at first sight, and I could not be happier with it. However, I then had to remove the previous purchase from my album. That was over a year ago, and I still have the 1888, still like it, and don't know what to do with it. I have no other use for the coin, but don't really want to let go of it, so this is a nice opportunity.
    1888 seated dime.jpg
    There are some rim nicks on the coin that make me wonder what happened to it. They say there are three sides to each coin, and the third side of this one is certainly its worst. I don't really know if they are bad enough t0 warrant a details grade. They are rather subtle and kind of unnoticeable when looking at the obverse or reverse head on. Without the rim nicks, I think the coin sits around XF40. I guess it could be net-graded to 35/30, but I am not well versed in net-grading. It isn't an expensive or rare coin, but it is a coin that has a back story for me.

Edit: I thought I would show the look of the rim nicks as best I could. You can sort of see them between 10 and noon and at about 6:30 on the obverse and at 11 and 7 on the reverse. DSCN1815.JPG DSCN1818.JPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    jello, jay4202472000 and jester3681 like this.
  4. bigbruiser94

bigbruiser94 Active Member

This coin was given to me by my dad he had it since he was a kid and told me it was one of his favorite coins and now its one of my favorite coins and I always wanted to get it graded but never had a chance to

Attached Files:

jello and jester3681 like this.
  5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Thanks for the entries, everyone! The contest is now closed to additional entries. The winner will be announced tomorrow!

6. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the contest jester! Good luck to all participants!

jester3681 likes this.
  7. bigbruiser94

Yes thanks for this opportunity

8. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Thanks for hosting the contest! Congrats to the future winner as well :)

9. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

I agree, lots of great choices that would find a good home in a slab. Can't wait to see which one you pick.

10. jester3681

I've got it narrowed down to three, and even that was tough. I have overnight to make an impossible decision...

11. jester3681

Thanks again to all parties who submitted coins for the contest. If our advertizing budget was endless, I'd be sending all the coins to PCGS, but unfortunately, I had to narrow it to one. Below are the three finalists:

furryfrog02's 1972 DDO Cent, found while coin roll hunting:
    ccc14-1a.jpg

cremebrule's 1909 VDB Cent, clearly a long loved and sentimental coin:
    ccc14-1b.jpg

fretboard's 1849 $1 Gold, a coin that really caught our eye and needs to find a holder:
    ccc14-1c.JPG

After being up all night thinking about it (well, the day job is really a night job, so I was at work, but I did give it extensive thought), and then discussing it several times with the "boss," the winner of the Early 2014 Cow City Coin Contest is...

CREMEBRULE! This coin was such a great combination of an important coin, coupled with a great story, we felt it was deserving of a new home in a PCGS Secure holder. You clearly have a fond spot in your heart for this coin, and we're honored to help it last to be passed on! Look for a note via PM!

12. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Congrats cremebrule!

jester3681 likes this.
  13. bigbruiser94

14. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

15. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Congrats! That is a beautiful VDB with a great story. Well deserving!

16. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Gratz! Cremebrule!

17. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Wow! Thanks for the congratulations...I didn't quite expect to win -- there were a lot of great entries, and I'm really honored to be the one chosen.

Another big thank you to jester3681 for hosting this contest. It's really cool to see how much the collective coin community cares for each other!

bigbruiser94 likes this.
  18. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

congrats cremebrule! we'll all be waiting to see it in its new holder!

19. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

Congratulations cremebrule! This was a very unique and fun contest idea. Well done Jester/Cow City Coin!

20. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Congrats cremebrule! That is a gorgeous coin. Thanks again for the jester!

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ditto. And I was a finalist! Too cool. Thank you for the contest Jester, I wish I would have had a great story like some of the others but I just didn't have it. Just saw the coin on feebay and bought it up. icon_mrgreen.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted