Cow City Coin Early 2014 Contest - PCGS Grade

Discussion in 'Contests' started by jester3681, Mar 12, 2014.

1. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

I would like to submit a coin that started me back into coin collecting. I got a Walking Liberty half dollar as part of an estate. (My wife's Aunt passed last year.) As part of her estate I ended up with a number of old coins, silver certificates, and one walker that looked like it had never been touched. I did take it to one coin show to ask for opinions on whether it had been cleaned, and the general opinions were that it had not been. I have since placed it in an Airtite. It's a later date (1942) so not exceptionally rare, but as I said it did rekindle my childhood interest in coins. The coin is in fantastic shape; one vendor I showed it to suggested that it would be "Choice" AU. I've learned enough to understand what that means. :)

I have since been to two additional coin shows, helped my older son earn his Coin Collecting merit badge for Boy Scouts, and seen my younger son turn into a coin roll hunter as we strive to complete our America the Beautiful quarters collection.

So for me, it's not the actual value of the coin that is important, but what it has brought me back to and introduced my sons to as well.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

1st, Thank You for the "contest" as for what coin I would send that's a tough one though the 300 limit cuts me down to a choice of 2.. A very nice 1964 DDO Kennedy half being one the other being a sweet 1828 large cent in the VF/XF range but both might exceed the 300 limit if they got the AU grade. I might consider 1 or 2 of my lesser large cents instead because of this. (note the 28 has been conserved with Verdi-care and looks much much better now, just can't find the pics lol)

003.JPG 1828o.JPG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    jello likes this.
  4. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

Here is mine. I really like this coin, and it is the favorite of my coins.[​IMG] [​IMG]

furryfrog02, Twiggs and jester3681 like this.
  5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

We actually have this coin's little brother, a 1853 Arrows Half Dime. Cool coins!

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Here is my submission: My 1972P-1DO-001.

I found this last year on 11Apr13. I had only been CRH'ing for about 6 months at that point and was getting pretty frustrated with my lack of finds. I was starting to consider stopping all together. After I pulled this out of a box it reignited my interest and has kept me going since then. I have gotten really interested in varieties/errors since finding this coin. Every time I get into a lull I pull this out and remind myself that there are still super cool things out there to find. I'm not sure of the grade but I am guessing somewhere in the AU53-55 range. I'd love to see what it actually is to see if I've learned anything over the last year...
    Also, this was my first 1972 DDO variety that I found in circulation. :) Not a bad way to start IMO. :) Thanks for the contest!

[​IMG]

7. jester3681

What a stunning find!

8. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Here's my submission. It's a 1923 Peace Dollar. Pretty common year and some nice toning but the thing that stands out to me is that this coin is flawless! I can't see a single hit, mark, scratch, ding, or anything else on this coin. It's in my 7070 type set so I'd be somewhat sad to see a hole in my album but I am waaaaay too curious to see what it would grade.
    1923 Peace Dollar obverse.jpg 1923 Peace Dollar reverse.jpg 1923 Peace Dollar reverse1.jpg

furryfrog02 and jester3681 like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm a big fan of him :)
    I even "cracked" him out of his 2x2 cardboard flip(I pulled the staples out lol) so I could take the picture for this contest.

non_cents likes this.
  10. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

A lot of great entries in the contest so far! I really like furryfrog's cherrypicking story (amazing find!).

Here's my entry -- this is the coin that started it all! My mom helped me buy it as a kid at the local coin store, which marked the cornerstone of my newfound collection. It's quite a fitting coin to be as such; it is a Lincoln Wheat Cent and a toner, both of which have been and continue to be my two favorite fields of collecting. The picture below was taken by Robec, who has an amazing way with cameras and coins. It has some smooth red-brown color on the obverse and a unique moss-green patina on the reverse...while certainly not the most expensive coin in my collection, it is one of the most unique and sentimental among all my pieces. While I'd like to keep it raw, it's turned a bit since Robec photographed it (obverse a bit more brown, the reverse a bit more iridescent), so I wouldn't mind seeing it slabbed either.

[​IMG]

And, of course, a big thanks to jester3681 for hosting this contest!

11. jester3681

Some great entries so far. Less than a week until the entries will close. Keep'em coming! It'll be a tough choice, for sure.

12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I started CRH'ing was to finance my recently re-discovered passion for coin collecting. I *liked* coins as a kid, but now I can't get enough. (Plus now, I have CRH'ing and a salary to help buy coins that are actually *worth* something! But alas, a family, too ;-) )

Last year I found a 1999 WAM and sold it here. I miss it, though.

I was new to coin roll hunting and getting pretty depressed.

Then I found this beauty, along with two of her less-fortunate sisters in the next box who had not aged so gracefully.

There were even a couple of Kens in the same boxes, but they can't compare in my humble opinion.

I can't sell her; she's just too beautiful. I can only imagine the story that brought her to me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Coin-Dude, furryfrog02 and jester3681 like this.
  13. enochian

enochian silver eater

do proof sets count

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's my submission an 1849 $1 gold coin. I am thinking that as a gold coin it'll grade low enough to meet the requirement amount of $300 or lower. If you don't think so jester3681, then you can give me the boot from the contest. That should be fair and square for everyone concerned, after all it is your contest. ;) Here's the coin, I am certain it will not even grade an AU, more like a VF20 but you decide Jester. Either way, it's your contest and I thank you for having it. :cool: $1 GoldCoin 1849 007.JPG $1 GoldCoin 1849 010.JPG $1 GoldCoin 1849 001.JPG $1 GoldCoin 1849 029.JPG $1 GoldCoin 1849 019.JPG

jello and jester3681 like this.
  15. jester3681

You would have to open the set and only submit one coin.

16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Here one we should know will grade without a issue.
    1974-S LMC small S W-Obv-1-2014.JPG 1974-S LMC small S Date-2-2014.JPG 1974-S LMC small S W CU-Rev-2014.JPG 1974-S LMC small S CU-MMark-2014.JPG Still in US mint wrapper sealed too.
    1974-S LMC with a small s.
    Still Red too

jester3681 likes this.
  17. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

I don't know about that jello. I've heard cases of TPG's calling coins from mint sets cleaned every now and then. Nobody really knows what to expect from TPG's. Which is also fun. That being said, nice coin! I'm sure that's not going to be one of the extreme cases and will grade quite nicely. :)

18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I think your talking about mint set that get sent as a full set not open envelop with mint wash on coins.90% of time that is a Proof coin, not a mint stage coin 1968-1974 US mint set had S minted cents.
    You could even get bank rolls of S mint normal LMC cent

19. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

I broke this out of a Special Mint Set. I think it's pretty unique.

[​IMG][​IMG]

jay4202472000 and jello like this.
  20. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Thanks for the contest!

Here is my submission, no particular story behind it, just picket it up at a coin show last week. It has some great toning and a nice die clash. Since I don't want to put it in my type set I figure the best way to protect it would be to put it in a slab.

photo 1.JPG
    photoas.JPG photo 2.JPG

jester3681, jay4202472000 and jello like this.
  21. jester3681

Last day for entries, although I'm hesitant to ask for more. It's going to be tough already!

Draft saved Draft deleted