Cow City Coin Early 2014 Contest - PCGS Grade

Discussion in 'Contests' started by jester3681, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

We've decided to reach out to the CT community twice a year and offer a contest for a coin or some other form of numismatic prize. For the first half of 2014, we'd like to offer the winner a complimentary submission to PCGS to be graded and housed in a Secure holder. The prize will include shipping to and from PCGS, and return shipping to the winner - the only cost you will be responsible for is getting the coin to us to be submitted with the rest of our batch.

The winner will be chosen Saturday, March 22. All entries must be made by replying to this post no later than Friday, March 21.

What do you need to do to win? Simply let us know the coin you'd like submitted. The only stipulation is that it be a US coin of value less than $300 based on the PCGS price guide in the expected grade. Pictures posted in your reply are a definite help. The winner will be chosen based on our interest in the coin, or the story behind the coin. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Is the contest open only to US members?

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I will not be entering the contest, but I want to let everyone know that John is an incredibly trustworthy member. I have submitted 3 coins through him, and he updates me every step of the way, let's me know the grade of the coin the instant he hears about it, and answers all of the 100s of questions I have asked him about grading and submissions. :)

5. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

First of all, let me say thanks for the very kind gesture. I still haven't gotten around to getting this coin graded. The coin I would like to submit is my 1820 Large Date Coronet Head Large Cent. My brother in law actually bought this coin at a local auction for $7.50! That was the opening bid, and he was the only bidder. I paid a good deal more than $7.50 for it, but still a lot less than the value if it comes back xf40 or better. That's what I'm hoping for anyway! Let me say thanks again for the great prize!

Attached Files:

jester3681 and non_cents like this.
  6. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I really love the large cents with the circular die cracks that go around the stars.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  7. jester3681

I suppose it is open to anyone, but non-US contestants may have to help out with return shipping.

jello likes this.
  8. jester3681

Simon, you're welcome to enter if you have another coin you'd like submitted. Thanks for the kind words!

9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

do errors count?

10. jester3681

Errors grade separately at PCGS. Unfortunately, they're excluded from this contest. Sorry!

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

ok heres my entry, an 1883 no cents liberty head nickel, i always find the story behind this nickel somewhat amusing about how it was gold plated and passed off as a five dollar coin, the most famous i believe is about the deaf mute josh tatum who gold plated these and hand cut a reeded edge onto it and would then buy a 5 cent cigar and receive $4.95 in change and got away with it because he never actually said it was 5 dollars, he could'nt, he was mute, he just "assumed" that the 4.95 in change was a gift and all charges against him were dropped. now whether this story is true or not, i think it adds quite an interesting history to this coin. so the gold plated nickels were called "racketeer nickels" and charles barber had to quickly prepare a new design, this time placing CENTS in big, bold letters below the V.
    as for a grade? im not too good at that, it looks good, has some nice luster in hand so maybe it will make MS, but that really does'nt concern me all that much, im more concern with having this coin encapsulated and authenticated so it looks good when i pass it on to my son along with the story behind it...and thanks for the contest.. :)

1883-OBV.jpg 1883-REV.jpg 1883-OBV-horz.jpg

12. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I found a 1999 WAM cent roll hunting. I have considered getting it graded before. This would be a great way to do it.

img017.jpg img016.jpg

jester3681 likes this.
  13. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

This would be a great opportunity for Redwin117 to get that 11 Cent Dime slabbed once and for all.

14. joseph289

joseph289 Member

i was thinking of my UNC 2006 penny to get slabbed.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sorry - but this contest is over as it is against the forum rules. They are clearly stated here - http://www.cointalk.com/threads/read-this.196139/

The rules state -

There can never be a contest held where it cost those entering the contest anything - not 1 red cent ! Those entering do not pay for shipping, they do not pay handling charges - they do not pay anything. Period !

jester - if you'd like to find a way to make this work, send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

16. jester3681

I worked with Doug today and have come up with the following solution, since it seems like there's a fair amount of interest in this contest. The winner will be limited to a US resident due to additional shipping costs for us. The winner will receive a post paid envelope in which to return the coin to us so that they are not responsible for any of the expense, including the shipping to us. Everything else is as described in the original post. Please continue posting your wonderful submissions!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    jello, ken454 and jay4202472000 like this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Works for me ;)

jello and jester3681 like this.
  18. jay4202472000

Wow! That's going above and beyond to make this happen! I have to second noncents' thoughts. I haven't had any dealings with jester, but he seems to be one of the giving and helpful folks that make this hobby the best one out there! Thank you jester!

jester3681 likes this.
  19. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Here's mine- 1857 Flying Eagle.

Problem is, I fear it has been cleaned......

[​IMG]

MKent, Coin-Dude and jester3681 like this.
  20. jay4202472000

Cleaned or not, that's a beauty

mammoth29 likes this.
  21. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Thanks! The story behind it starts on another website where it was erroneously included in a trade for some civil war tokens and rather than send it back I begged and pleaded the fellow to accept another trade, which he did. I then almost lost it due to the momentary lapse in judgment of a certain 14-year old who lives at my house :) But now it is securely stored so I can make sure it stays with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted