Considering starting an early Commemorative MS66 collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Carterofmars, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

I'm considering starting an early Commemorative MS66 collection. I want the CAC green or gold.

Any recommendations/advice?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

That seems doable, not sure how many you will find with gold beans though. It will be easier to complete that set, than my set of classic Commemoratives in XF.

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I assume you've looked at the prices on Early Commems in MS-66.
    That will be an expensive set to complete ... even without the gold.

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

very very well ..you might want to say almost to doable..

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Take a look at this........

http://www.pinnacle-rarities.com/index.php/blog-blog/?p=11

In 2008, Mark Feld teamed with Pinnacle Rarities to buy this finest-known PCGS Registry set. I believe the price for this complete 144-coin set was $1.3 million if memory serves me correctly.

Scroll down the article to click on the link to view the set.

Chris

medjoy likes this.
  7. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

There will be some easier to acquire than others. I'm planning to buy a piece every month or so.

cpm9ball- Thanks for the link. Two things hit me immediately. 1. Finest known 2. That would include the gold coins. I should prob revise my original statement a bit. I'm not a completest. I want just one example of each type, and there are a few I'll likely not acquire.

8. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

The Lafayette alone is going to be a butt kicker. I sold my only 2 classics, the Lafayette and Oregon and made some good money. Most are attainable in MS66 but I'm guessing some have never had a CAC, much less gold on them. Good luck though. Some neat designs. The moderns do nothing for me, so good choice with classics.

9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The type set is approximately 50-pieces and is much less expensive than the complete set, which is approximately 144-pieces. Finding them in MS66 is fairly trivial, save for an issue or two, but finding them with a gold CAC sticker at that level is not going to happen with any frequency. Stick to buying superb coins in MS66 holders and you should be fine. I don't know your finances, but if you already have done your homework then you know what it will take to build this set.

green18 and Lehigh96 like this.
  10. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

Thanks. I've researched. Concentrating on the silver early commemoratives, there a couple I'll likely not be buying, as they are out of my range for MS66. I think I should do ok with the others though.

I'ts a shame this EC's never really improved in value though. I think they're beautiful and very interesting.

Question for all though...

Toning or frosty? What do you guys prefer for Early Commemorative?

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Toning all the way for me I like my coins with color!! I haven't ever collected commemoratives but there are 2 I'd like to get cause of local interest the Maine centennial and the York county Maine one but I want them with spectacular toning

12. onecenter

onecenter Member

The plan is certainly an ambitious one. Just be prepared to spend a lot of big money for some of the commemoratives. One in particular, the 1935 half dollar from my hometown of Hudson, NY will set you back $1750 or more, easily.

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

EC's are sort of a back burner type of collection.
    Most people starting out coin collecting don't even know they exist.
    So in general there is a larger supply than demand.
    That keeps the price static.

As for "toning or frosty" I'm an old timer and still like my Unc coins blast white.

Rassi likes this.
  14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Not sure I need to answer this, but I don't even wanna see a white commemorative. Some of the most incredibly toned coins I have ever seen have been classic commemoratives.

Mainebill likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So ya want one of these.....

download.jpg

To each his own......

Draft saved Draft deleted