Comic Book Hobos (Modern Hobo Nickel Art)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by John14, Feb 14, 2013.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Cool concept. Been a fan of comic books myself I really like the way Spiderman came out. The X-Men ones looks good too, but
    it looks like its a bit lacking.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Not a comic book theme but here are a few from a master nickel carver:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hobo Nickel Carving in Ancient Theme 'Centurian' and 'Emperor' by Bill (Billzach) Jameson

4. wkw427

wkw427 Member

How do they do this? By hand? Or with machines?

5. John14

John14 Active Member

OHNS members are supposed to follow the traditional "by hand" method I believe, most really use a very basic a rotary tool and pin vise, and other carvers have air compression hand tools so they can get really fancy and charge top dollar.

6. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I don't think its the tools they use that allow them to charge top dollar as much as the talent that went into it. I am quite positive that regardless of what tools I use I would not be able to create carvings like these in a nickel. They arent hobo nickels as much as works of art in the spirit of the idea...taking it to a ho....notha...level.

7. CollectorCraig

CollectorCraig Buckaroo

[video=youtube;bct6w8t-JDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bct6w8t-JDY[/video]

8. CollectorCraig

CollectorCraig Buckaroo

Love the nickels, John14. I have major respect for those with the talent and patience to do this kind of work. :thumb:

9. John14

John14 Active Member

Most new carvers are members of The Original Hobo Nickel Society http://www.hobonickels.org/. And I totally agree with taking it to a new level. I'm tired of looking at Indian heads turned into skulls, Hobos, Trains, and old style guys with derby hats. I like the new fresh ideas I'm seeing coming out.

10. John14

John14 Active Member

Venom In Hand

Venom-horz.jpg :devil:

11. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

I collected 70's Ghost Rider comics. The new nickel would look good as a Ghost Rider nickel. Anybody ever seen the Hobo Ike Dollar.. pretty nice...

12. John14

John14 Active Member

Ghost Rider is a good idea! :thumb:

13. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Mr. Natural and I will buy one :)

14. John14

John14 Active Member

This one is really titled "Old School Ghost Rider". The character has come a long way since 1972...

GhostRider.jpg

j6comics.jpg Not exactly Nicolas Cage...

15. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Wow!!! The Ghost Rider turned out great. Nice!!!!! Definitely one of the best (best one in my opinion). Good job!

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like the magneto 1 best.

17. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Magneto one is nice too, works good with the face.... Im just feelin' the Ghost Rider one myself...

18. John14

John14 Active Member

I just won a Batman Hobo today that is simply incredible! Also the Riddler! Will post as soon as they arrive and pics can be taken. :thumb:

19. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

Sweet.. I want to check those out...

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

come to a Las Vegas coin show. sometimes they have modern hobo carvers do amazing art work on coins. all price ranges to. to bad the ones i like the most are so expensive.:rolling:

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

all always like the skulls on buffalo nickels. big $$$ :vanish:

Draft saved Draft deleted