Coin Frame? Coin Container?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ShiloCM, Apr 16, 2005.

1. ShiloCM

ShiloCM New Member

Hi there.
    I was struck with an odd idea a couple weeks ago... I'd like to put together a collection of pennies, one for each year going back 100 years. That might not even be possible. I don't know how far back pennies go.
    But, that's not my question... what I'm really hoping you could help me with:
    Is there such a thing as a coin container that can hold 100 coins? like in a frame?

Something like one of those charity calendars, where you put a quarter in for each day? or something like that?

You see, I figure this is going to take me a loooong time. Since I'm only going to use pennies I find. So, I want to just put something up on the office wall and every now and again when I stumble onto some pennies - I'll insert them into the coin frame thing.

Do they make such a thing? Where can I buy it? Can you provide me with a direct link?

Thank you,
    Mr. Shilo McDonald
    a nut who likes to collect coins (but, doesn't know a darn thing about 'em)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Your local coin shop or Barnes & Noble will have a book called the Red Book. It will tell you how far back pennies go.

The coin shop will also sell you display supplies. You can also try

J.P.'s
    or
    Mitchells
    or
    Brent-Krueger

for display supplies. Note the last web site has the Red Book for sale on the first page.

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well---Cents go back (the way we know them now) to 1856 but before that there were Large Cents and they go back to the 1793's.

I would store them in flips (non PVC)--and yes you shoudl be able to get one for each year...but some are $$$...if you know what I mean.

I would get a Red Book--Photograde--ANA Grading Guide and a book about Cents.

Hope this helps

Speedy

5. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

I assume the framed holders are still available as I know they made them years ago. Most common was the framed holder for type sets but I have seen cents holders in the past as well. Good luck with your hunt.

6. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

One of my prized items in my collection is a 11 x 14" oak frame with U.S. coins of the 20th Century.

20th Century US Coins Display

Over the years, I made sure that each coin represented was in excellent eye appeal condition. I have a MS Jefferson War Nickel, a MS RB Indian Cent, and a GEM BU Morgan and Peace dollars to name a few. What was kind of expensive was the AU Standing Liberty and Barber quarters and halfs. I even used some proofs for the Kennedy, IKE and modern dollar slots.

All of the coins have dates of 1901 to 2000, and I must say, it looks great.

Either way, it is displayed in my office and sometimes a person would come in and comment about this set. I quickly sit up and eagerly ask, "So...do you like coins?" and hopefully before business is discussed, we can talk about coins. Most of the time, I think the person is just sucking up to me, but every now and then, you find a fellow collector.

The next thing you know, we are looking a pics of my coins on the computer..."Sure I have 3 kids, but check out this coin...she's a beauty."

Try something like this. You will appreciate the beauty of our US Coins and it will look great on any wall.

7. Spider

Spider ~

well now where is every 1s manners? hmmmmmmmmmmm
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
    its allota fun
    i also have a 20th century collection i love (my grandma gave me most of the coins)
    soon i will have to save certain coins for a 21st century collection
    Your dealer should hopefully have something for you, but it might not have 1 per year, some might have 3 per year or 2 per year, depending on the number of mints
    have fun in ur collection and dont forget the steel penny, she's a beauty

8. Spider

Spider ~

/\
    |
    |
    |
    \____that was my biggest post on this forum, sad isnt it

9. Art

Art Numismatist?

You've got a lot of the basics in the answers here. Capital Plastics - they have a website, will custom cut a lucite layered frame for you. It's usually a colored section of lucite sandwiched between two clear sections. It screws open/closed. You can have one made with 100 cents holes if that's what you'd like.

The Lincoln Cent was first produced in 1909. Pretty close to a hundred years. Of course for some years there are three or even four cents issues. But to put together a set of one from each year would not be all that bad.

Before the Lincoln cents were the Indian Head Cents. They are the same diameter and so would fit the same frame. But be aware that from 1856 to 1864 the cents were thicker. Anyway Indian Head Cents started in 1859 and were produced through 1909. Before the Indian Heads were Flying Eagle cents 1856 to 1858.

Good luck with your project. Do a google search for Indian Head Cents and check out a few of the interesting websites you'll find. Eagle Eye Rare Coins is one of my favorites. Lots of great info and pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted