Cleaned coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jun 21, 2010.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

that usually only happens when you ban me.

Come on Doug! Where is the luster on this blast white coin [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Good to know, thanks for reply.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Honestly Ruben I think it is rather obvious where the luster is. Does it have full, booming luster ? No, absolutely not. But it does have substantial luster on most of the coin. If it was over-dipped it would not.

Could the pictures be deceptive and not showing us other signs of a harsh cleaning ? Yes, they could. But the pictures are all we have to go by, that and the word of the OP who has the coin in hand. Who also cannot see any obvious signs of harsh cleaning.

But one thing the pictures cannot do, they cannot show luster that is not there. And I see plenty of luster on that coin.

If you don't, then OK, we disagree.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG]

Remeber this coin? You taught me that it was very close to being over dipped and barely got into a slab. At this point I agree with you. SLQ aren't like walkers. They generally don't get that bright. From what I learned from you, then I do disagree with you.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not to horn in, but luster is almost impossible to photograph. That being said, I see luster on the coin on the far left and far right-hand sides and on the shield. On the other hand, with the Barber you posted, I can't see any luster because of the extreme angle unless it would be up the nose hole.

7. GDJMSP

Yeah Ruben I remember. But that doesn't change the fact that on the coin we are talking about that I can see plenty of luster. Honestly, I'm amazed that you say that you cannot see it.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

uh huh. OK now I understand. When I see luster on a SLQ I see a round patter of flow lines on the reverse about the Eagle, smooth flow lines on the legs. I don't see that here and in addition I see washed out details on the drapery.

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

1. Yes, it can be a problem for me, unless I want that date badly--coins designated "cleaned" have minimal commercial value IMHO.

2. What percentage will it sell for? Probably half or maybe even less if it is HARSHLY cleaned, and in a "details" slab. If it has been dipped years ago and has naturally retuned (like so many silver coins 100+ years ago). probably not at all. Assume every "white" Morgan was dipped at one time or another--lightly and without injury to the coin, hopefully.

3. How bad is it? Well, you are promoting one of the evils of the hobby if you buy harshly cleaned coins. Coin doctors would not exist if there wasn't the demand for coins to look a "certain way."

10. Kentucky

Something that just occurred to me: Both are bad, I know, but which is worse (more worthless) a harshly cleaned coin or a coin with dammage (gouges, scratches, cuts)?

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

do you still think it wasn’t hashly cleaned?

12. GDJMSP

Based on the pics we have my opinion has not changed.

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There appears to be a layer of dip on this one although it's still marginally-reflective. All this no-grade means is it's not up to this TPGs standards for that. As such, it can't play in their price guide. At least, not today. Maybe tomorrow.

15. GDJMSP

I have no doubt at all that the coin was dipped. But there are millions of dipped coins in TPG slabs. And many of them with less luster than that coin has.

As I said in the beginning, there may well be something that this picture is not showing us. And that could easily be the reason for the problem designation.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I have dipped steel cents that show this look. Of course, on steel, it's a complete foreign look. On silver, it's more consistent with what we expect to see, and, as such, we're understandably more tolerant and accepting of it.

But, Doug, let's face it, the gods have spoken on this one. As such, we don't have their divine permission to like it, much less to collect it. Geeze, do you know anything? :D

17. Kentucky

Know you are being sarcastic, but how many people have cracked out coins and resubmitted them with good results?

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I haven't taken a head count but I'm reasonably sure if you hang out in the various forums long enough you're going to witness claims to that effect from time to time. I don't play the crackout game because I don't care what these gods think of the coins I like to collect. I'll give you an example, though, I personally witnessed, that happened right under the TPG's nose. Some guy posts a graded coin, says he doesn't like it, tells us what he's going to do with it, does it, then reposts the same coin in the same thread graded by the same TPG but with a higher grade on it. I shan't mention the TPG.

PS: But I shall mention that thread then went "poof" something quick. ;)

19. Kentucky

So you think there was collusion between whatever forum this was in and the TPG? Seems like I have seen numerous examples in CoinTalk.

20. GDJMSP

If you post something like that about a coin slabbed by PCGS, on the PCGS forum, those kind of posts have a habit of disappearing.

Didn't always used to be that way though. 10 years ago it was common place to find threads on the PCGS forum discussing PCGS slabbed coins getting up-graded, down-graded, body-bagged and then graded when resubmitted. Back then you could actually talk about things without worrying about your posts getting zapped or yourself getting banned for saying something PCGS didn't like.

You folks know me fairly well, you know I don't mince my words when I talk about the TPGs. But believe it or not I am still a registered member on the PCGS forum - never got banned for any of my comments. But that was a different time. I can remember when Conder got banned, for something as heinous as simply telling the truth.

21. Kentucky

I am surprised, but then again I am naive.

Draft saved Draft deleted