Cleaned coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jun 21, 2010.

1. quartermaster

quartermaster New Member

Well this one did not have PVC contamination and they did body-bag it. Guess NGC screwed up!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then what did they say the problem was ? They always do. And that is the one and only thing they will still use a body-bag for.

4. quartermaster

quartermaster New Member

I have a 1969D Washington Quarter that is thin and weights the same as the 1970D Washington Quarter which was struck on the dime stock planchet. They said my coin was genuine but altered to resemable an error

5. GDJMSP

Well of course it was returned. Altered coins and counterfeits will never be graded or slabbed. That's not the same thing as a coin being body-bagged.

The issue about body-bagging coins was for things like harsh cleaning, artificial toning, damage, altered services, etc.

6. steve1942

steve1942 Junior Member

"Altered coins will never be slabbed". That is a curious statement. I know its the belief of the grading companies. Yet, I love toned coins, look for them when deciding what to buy. My favorites are ones that were stored for years in cardboard as they can pick up particular blues, greens and tones of reds that I prefer. The grading companies not only grade these coins, they may even remark on the beautiful tone. These coins are "naturally toned". But if I wanted to hurry the process, storing the coins in a material that brings out the same colors, its artificial. I'm not bringing this up to condone the artificial handling of coins. I agree, toning is best when natural. It just shows the power we give the grading companies to make the rules. What is natural toning? Where is coin wear more important, less so? Does a satin luster rate higher that flat? It goes on and on, and yes, most makes sense. But, not always. I was looking on Ebay at an MS66 San Diego. It looks like a truck ran over the obverse. When compared to my MS64, it can't hold a candle. Yet, someone will pay over $200 for it because PCGS can see something in it that I can't. It's really quite ugly but worth every cent. PCGS says so.

7. GDJMSP

I'm not sure you are understanding what an altered coin is. You are talking about toning, and toning has nothing to do with a coin being an altered coin.

An example of an altered coin is one that has a mint mark glued onto it or a mint mark removed from it, or a coin that has been tooled, or a coin that has been whizzed, or a coin that has the date altered like a 44 to a 41. Things like that.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

ever listen the Eagle Hotel Caolifornia

9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Does anyone have a collection of or link to a site containing high quality pictures of TPG graded cleaned coins?

I would really like to stare at a few hundred photos of various TPG designated cleaned coins of various series. I recently went to a coin show and bought raw coins, something I have never done before. Upon taking my own photos, I think it is clear that a few were cleaned based on hairline scatches, but I really have no frame of reference, since I have seen other coins graded NGC/PCGS with what look like the same hairlines and they are not labeled details/genuine.

Since not too many people brag about a details coin, I dont see a ton of high quality pics show various types of cleaning.

Please share, thanks!

10. GDJMSP

It's pretty easy geek, just go to Heritage and pick any coin you want. You'll plenty of slabbed problem coins to look at.

11. geekpryde

Cool, thanks for the tip. I will do that for sure.

I assume there is someone out there that collects problem coins, just like there are people who collect slab versions, sample slabs, known conterfeits, etc. I was thinking there might be a dedicated site for harshly cleaned coins.

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Only the ignorant would collect cleaned coins.....and there's plenty of ignorant collectors out there....just search ebay completed auctions. Like Doug said, search ha.com and you'll find tons of excellent pictures of cleaned, corroded and damaged coins in high resolution.

13. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

If a person includes cleaned coins in their collection, buys cleaned coins, KNOWS that they are buying cleaned coins, pays the appropriate price for them, and appreciates them, then how exactly is this person "ignorant"?

You can't make the assumption that a person's knowledge base is lacking just because their collecting tendencies do not match your own.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Fretboard, let me give you a tip. Take your mind's-eye off the label, "cleaned." Put your eyes back on...drumroll...the coin. Do you know what the thing about cleaned coins is? It's just one thing. Cleaning irreparably damages the surface of the coin. Put your eyes back on the coin and judge the surface of the coin with the view to how intact or damaged it is. Cleaning to collectors is but a matter of degree. Understand that. Get away from the label. Get your eyes back on the coin, and keep them there. Learn what you, yourself, like, and don't like to see, and why. You'll be a happier collector for it. Let the record reflect, in my humble opinion...

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Indeed...but I would be shocked to learn there are collectors that focus on garbage.

16. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Hey, he understands what I said........

Oh, I guess he doesn't understand after all :rollling:

17. geekpryde

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

they are both obvious

19. GDJMSP

It isn't obvious on the SLQ to me.

Keep this in mind, there have been many occasions where PCGS has designated a coin as being harshly cleaned, but when the exact same coin was resubmitted, it was graded and slabbed. And, there have been many occasions where a coin was graded and slabbed by PCGS, but upon a cracked out re-submission hoping for an upgrade, the coin was bagged as being harshly cleaned.

And this kind of thing has happened a LOT of times.

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The washed out look and lack of luster, IMO, makes the SLQ obviously over dipped.

Ruben

21. GDJMSP

We disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted