Circulated Ikes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CamaroDMD, Aug 20, 2012.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Over the last several years...I have picked up probably 30 circulated Eisenhower Dollars. I'm in the process of going through my collection to sell off the bulk of it and reinvest it into a few nice pieces. I don't want to continue to have a large collection of what I consider junk. I have gone through these coins to ensure all the major varieties aren't missed...bottom line is there is nothing special here. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just take them to the bank?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, in my area I sell them at the local flea market, three for five dollars. And they always sell above face on eBay when selling in "lots". But it's really too much work for too little profit. If I have extras, I just spend them or use them for "tip" money. You would be amazed at how many people have never even seen an Ike.

4. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Spend them. You'll love the reactions. I know I sure did :cool:

torontokuba likes this.
  5. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Another cool item to give to kids that have a good experience in your office after treatment..

6. hartnessjr

hartnessjr Member

Or you could keep them like i have even though they are close to worthless :) . I have a bad habit of keeping every coin i ever get so give yourself 20 years and you will have several thousands of those same coins like i do lol.

7. CamaroDMD

That's actually exactly what I'm trying to undo.

8. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

DEFINITELY spend them, tip with them, give them away, etc. Get them into circulation! The bank will just keep them until someone like me wanders in looking for Ikes.

I make a point to tip with them. I ask for $2.00 bills from the bank and use those and extra Ike dollars to provide a very interesting tip. Its a good conversation starter as well to buy a coffee or something with it. Usually I have to explain that it IS American money and it IS still worth a dollar and NO its not made a silver.

torontokuba likes this.
  9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

You should spend them. Take them to your local super market, McDonald's, or something and see the reaction from the kids working there when the receive it.

They have no clue what it is, and the look on their faces is priceless.

torontokuba likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Use them for tips. It's fun to see the reaction of the server.

torontokuba likes this.
  11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would also suggest spending them. Let someone find them in circulation. Spread the fun!

torontokuba likes this.
  12. You could give them out for good dental hygiene. :) TC

13. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

Spending them is fun. Usually when I spend uncommon coins/notes, I like to use a combination of them thus always ensuring some fun with cashiers.

torontokuba likes this.
  14. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Here we go again, another older post of yours that catches me by surprise and reiterates "junk". What's going on with your collection at this point in time? Have you any successful upgrades or any new items of quality to share with the CT crowd?

If I can arrange for a swap that gets me AU/UNC Ikes at face value, all that's left to do with them is to spend them and have fun doing it. Propagate the Hobby of Kings!

15. CamaroDMD

Why are you bumping 2 year old threads of mine just to critique them? It doesn't really matter...but these posts are very outdated.

As far as upgrading...my collection has been on hold for the most part as I work to make an income. When I made that post I was just out of graduate school and I'm still trying to establish myself and obtain a steady income stream. I have downsized much of my collection, but I haven't added much.

Catbert and non_cents like this.
  16. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Your recent personality and get to know everyone thread made me curious. I'm getting to know you through your posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted