Catologuing coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ibraaheem, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Ibraaheem

Ibraaheem New Member

I'm trying to catalogue all of my coins, but would like to have ideas or suggestions on how everyone else does it. Is there a downloadable template? Or just share any tips you may have.
    I have a world coin collection and an ancient coin collection. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Contact Ardatirion. He's the best and my Librarian wife recommends him most exclusively........

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I built my own Excel spreadsheet.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

It's hard to beat Excel, and keep in mind you can put hidden "notes" into each cell, to reduce the clutter.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Index Card 1.1 CAM01335.jpg

7. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

I use both Coin Manage and a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is based on an export from Coin Manage to excel format so I can manipulate the reports in a way more to my liking. Not just what I have, but what needs to be upgraded. It is also a nice check and balance to have both systems for me and I like goofing around with both during my spare time.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I made my own in Excel one time but I never kept it up to date using the computer. If I was to work on a new cataloging system, I would listen to the input from folks at CT and make sure that my database included the following information:

Country, denomination, date, mm, etc.
    Photograph(s) of each coin. (this is easy with Access)
    My grade opinion
    TPG opinion
    TPG serial number
    price paid
    date paid
    KM number
    Material (Silver, Gold, Nickel, C-N, etc)
    Precious metal content
    Notes

The description for obverse design, reverse design, weight, diameter, and grade opinion will need some expansion for ancient coins. Also, the provenance & source of the coin would need some expansion.

Of course, it is important to consider your possible uses of this database before you forge ahead with it. Good luck. I'll be interested to see your final results.

9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Tell her that this is far and away the loftiest compliment I have ever received. Seriously, some of my best friends are librarians.

10. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I use NGC Collection Manager and Excel.

Draft saved Draft deleted