cash coin help

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by swish513, May 10, 2011.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i picked up 2 chinese cash coins today for 10¢ each, but i can't find them in my krause. i think they are from the 1800's (i don't have that krause). can someone help me identify them, please?

unknown 1.jpg

unknown 2.jpg

thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Top one is traditional cast Ching coin, while the lower one is a machine struck cash. The machine struck one will be much later, from about 1890's to 1905, while I don't have my book for attribution of specific emperor. I am sure shortly someone will identify the emperor and mint for you here, if not I will tonight.

Chris

P.S. Great job in getting them uprigth for the photo. You would be surprised how many times these are not photographed upright!

Edit: Jen Tsung for top coin, 1796-1820, Board of Revenue mint
    Te Tsung, 1875-1908, Kwangtung mint, for bottom.

4. swish513

that is awesome! thank you! on the reverse, the right side character is what was throwing me off from krause. all the other characters matched except that. what is it? the mint?

5. swish513

all the credit goes to my grade school teacher for teaching me right side up! ;)

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes, on the reverse the right side is the mint name in Manchu. Board of Works was in Beijing.

Draft saved Draft deleted