Can't find banks with half dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HalfDollarSteve, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Thats exactly what I find happens at my locals.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

My feeling is some banks don't even deal with half dollars anymore because the day of running across half dollars in circulation has ended, at least in my area. Incidentally I do know of one person who is hooked up with all the B of A's and Well Fargo's and makes periodic pickups at those banks. That said I don't know how often he visits them but I do know that he has this part of Calif sewn up. Maybe the banks were rude to you out of ignorance. Meaning they were probably wondering what the heck is this guy talking about and why? After all, they're not coin collectors. good luck

4. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I think you have to order an entire box because the Fed sends them out this way. Anything less, they really don't want to bother with.

5. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Do you have to roll them before returning or do you return them loose?

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Want to see some rude tellers? Bring 'em back loose.......

7. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I dump some at Citibank and they make me roll them, but at BofA they give me a plastic merchant bag that can hold up to $500. you seal it, and they send it to be counted. Citi told me they only accept quarters in the merchant bags..

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Uh uh, I found these little varmints waiting for me at one of my credit unions back in March, I bought $340 worth of halves and dug out these little treasures:

[​IMG]

At another bank where I always buy all their bagged cents and nickels I was persuaded by the teller to take the $800 in halves as a favour- they can't ship those back to the Fed, I ended up buying them and searching all of them and found 11 40% halves. My credit unions are the best, because they tend to get different types of deposits and end up storing the coins in their vaults for longer periods.

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I don't know any rude tellers, of course I am not above handing out little restaurant and store gift cards as favours. One of my tellers asked if I could find 10 British sixpences, but of course I could - I have over 1000 of them, would you prefer they be real silver, sure! My tellers like me.

10. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

If I were a teller and somebody deposited a roll of half dollars and lets say I didn't want to keep carrying them around in my drawer forever....I'd just give them out in change. However I wouldn't try it with the Gold dollars, many would ask for paper instead. I think most people would accept the half dollar coin, at least those old enough to remember when there was a half dollar coin that circulated ( AARP type members).

11. fatima

fatima Junior Member

1/2 dollar looks more like real money than the Chucky Cheese token looking $ coins they are minting now.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Never forget, gang. As the price of silver goes up, so goes the media coverage, and so goes the tellers' I.Q.s. ;)

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There's hope for Teller IQ's? :)

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Recent studies clearly show an increase in activity in the centers of the brain responsible for cognitive awareness, but only when the price of silver goes up. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted