Can't find banks with half dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HalfDollarSteve, Jul 15, 2011.

1. HalfDollarSteve

HalfDollarSteve New Member

Back in the day I was HUGE into collecting old half dollars and never thought silver would sky rocket like it would so I'm getting back into collecting silver half dollars. I've been to about 5 banks (where I hold accounts) with most tellers being very rude when I politely ask if they have any half dollar rolls. Is this happening to anyone else?

Also what else would you guys recommend looking for? I was thinking about looking for silver quarters, I received 3 of them in my change the other day so there must be a decent amount still around. Dimes usually hurt my eyes when looking through a lot.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Yes, most banks don't normally stock rolls of halves anymore. But they would probably let you order them if you requested several rolls.

If you did that, I would expect to possibly find some silver Kennedys in the rolls, with perhaps an occasional Franklin.

4. HalfDollarSteve

Yeah I had only 1 bank offer to order for me, so I gladly took them up on that. I don't get why they were so rude about it though?? I suspect my area is heavily loaded with CRH's

But I actually used to do this as a kid and stopped when I started playin football in high school. I used to find 10-15 (40%er's) and a few (90%er's) per box but I hear it's not like that anymore. I wonder how scarce they actually are now

5. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

I have the same problem, I use two banks, and neither of them ever have halves, and refuse to order them for me.... They are usually very rude if I ask for any roll.

6. GypsyTears

GypsyTears Mammy 2 shoes

There is already a thread on cointalk all about this subject called roll searchers. Finding silver halves is scarce theses days just because there are so many people doing the same thing you and I are doing.

7. HalfDollarSteve

Yeah I live in Florida aswell, Wells Fargo is by far the worst. I went in this morning and asked the teller politely if she had any half dollar rolls and she said no then started talking to her coworker about what she wanted for lunch later. There was a 3rd teller (who was nice) and interested in why I needed them and as I'm still standing in front of the main teller, I tell her that I wanted to complete my set. I then attempt to cash my check from work so I could hit up more banks and she continued to talk to her coworker and completely ignored me. So I walked out and went to Walmart then called the branch manager and explained my situation. They seemed pretty apologetic about it but I'm thinking about dropping Wells Fargo, I've had nothing but problems with them lately.. I want Wachovia back

8. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Most banks now make you order them ahead of time in the $500.00 lot and do not want your returns. As for finding silver seems like a waste of time you could make more money mowing lawns than what you will find.

9. GypsyTears

GypsyTears Mammy 2 shoes

Where at in fla. are you? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale.

10. zach24

I would like to what part of Florida you hale from as well....

11. HalfDollarSteve

Not the way gas is now.. but I do it for fun, I would like to get rich off it but I don't expect it. I enjoy getting the rush of finding silver and eventually getting closer to completing my set

12. HalfDollarSteve

Tampa FL

13. zach24

Tampa, huh?? My uncle lives down near Brandon, I think it is...

14. HalfDollarSteve

Yeah I'm right near the Brandon area.. I suspect there are many CRH's in my area

15. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Not getting on the silver subject or any thing. But, are you a member of any of the banks you are asking for half rolls at? Being a member would be an advantage in getting such requests. If you are a member, and are getting the rude treatment, I'd think about switching financial institutions.

16. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem with wells fargo ordering boxes for me. I have a standing order of one box per week. All the tellers know me when I come in, and I have never had a bad experience. The manager has joked with me though about not bringing them back to his branch. I use two different banks to dump so they don't give me too much grief.

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

True, you have to understand that the bank is charged for obtaining the coins/armed guard transport and then many are charged to have the coins returned from depositors to be checked and re-rolled as business customers do not want depositor rolled coins.

Providing accurate boxes of wrapped coins to business account users are often built into business accounts service charges. Giving boxes of coins at face to regular service account member, or even worse, horror, to a non account holder is costly, with no return for the bank. To make it worse, many do not bother to take to another bank for deposit of rejects.

I have more than 3 accounts at Wells Fargo, and they have been very good to me in the past. I really like Rabobank best locally as they have been woo-ed by myself and another collector with dateless buffaloes, Indian Head cents, etc.
    They exchange for them so it isn't a bribe exactly, just a "remember me next time a bunch of Franklins come in". Just recently, I went into Rabobank and asked if they had any boxes of new cents, and they popped up a box of 2011-D cents. Nice folks! But then so am I :)

Jim

18. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

Kindness will get you everywhere.

Also when the new tellers ask what I do with all the coins I tell them me and my son collect and we look for errors mostly but get silver from time to time. I always try my best to answer their currency(not one of my strong points) and weird coin questions. Like the silver penny one teller got in her drawer( unfortunately had to burst the bubble on that one) And I took a handful of proofs and magicians coins in to show them once.
    I'm sure some banks get tired of people using them for searching, but if you build a rapport with the tellers and managers at the branch you use for banking it will pay dividends. Even if you don't have a mega balance.

19. HalfDollarSteve

Yes I only go to the banks in which I have accounts with.. They don't even ask though, they just tell me no

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If your bank has a separate "business account" teller or area, the bank probably instructed the other teller not to give out coins above a certain number. My bank has a business account section glassed off, with a separate door, and I do have to go into there for boxes. Once there, they do not question me as to if I have a business account or not.

Jim

21. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

There is no silver out there and few banks EVER have more than a few loose halves in my area ( CT). Remember halves are no longer made for circulation. Banks don't even get the dead Prez dollars here.

Draft saved Draft deleted