Canadian counterfeit detector

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Apr 24, 2014.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Through an inter-library loan, I was able to get a look at a scarce publication by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. In 1966, to raise awareness of counterfeiting in Canada, the RMPC put out a 16-page booklet simply titled "The Counterfeit Detector." It's a neat piece, with descriptions of all manner of design elements and colors of then current Canadian currency, examples of genuine and counterfeit security planchettes, and a die-cut panel in the back for easy comparison of the QE2 portrait on two notes.

Most interesting to me was the centerpiece, printed by British American Bank Note Co., comparing intaglio engraving with offset printing. The panel includes a beautiful vignette, very likely used on obsolete notes, and a lovely portrait of a woman. I've seen this somewhere but can't place it.

Until I can pick up a copy for my personal library these scans will have to suffice. I thought there might be some interest on this forum, so I'll share them here. RCMP counterfeit center.jpg RCMP counterfeit portrait.jpg RCMP counterfeit vig.jpg Counterfeit die cut.jpg Counterfeit photo.jpg

jj00, scottishmoney and josh's coins like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

the only canadian coins that peaked my interest are those colored bird coins. They look neat.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Nice vignette, I want to own that one. Love the dump where the fakes were printed.

5. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Yeah, that gave me a grin, too. Because counterfeiters are such slobs. At least the ones that get caught. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted