Canadian 1945 Nickle

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by manniter, May 29, 2005.

1. manniter

manniter New Member

HI,

I would like to know what the value of an 1945 nickle. It is in decent condition, has 2 leafs beside the word "CENTS", A torch in the middle with a "V" behind it. and At the top there is the word "CANADA". On the back, there is around the rim the words, "GEORGIVE VI D : REX ET IND : IMP:" AND in hte enter there is a picture of a person, I can't possible think it is Georgive like on the name. if you could tell me what the worth of coin is it would be a great help.

Eric.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Notoco

Notoco Member

Well, this is a commemorative Canadian coin, KM#40a. It is actually made of chrome plated steel, not nickel as usual. In the best case it is worth $4 or so. And that person, strange as it may seem, IS the GEORGIVS VI, or George the Sixth, who at that time was "Dei Gratia Rex Et Indiae Imperator", or "by the grace of God the King (of the Great Britain) and Emperor of India".

4. rick

rick Coin Collector

welcome to the forum Manniter!

5. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Apparently some of the 44 & 45 5¢ coins lacked the chromium plating. The Charlton catalogue does not list these at a premium over the chrome plated ones but CCN trends shows them with a value of 4 or 5 times greater.
    The "V" was meant for victory and also the roman numeral for the number five.
    Another feature was instead of rim denticles on the reverse the coins featured morse code spelling the words "we win when we work willingly".

Bill

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Canadian Nickel 5c.

Manniter,welcome to the board.It is good to see another numismatist from a British Commonwealth country on board.The King on the 1945 Canadian 5c. is King George VI,who reigned from 1936 to 1952.

Draft saved Draft deleted