Buying key date coins of all series?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by icerain, Mar 11, 2012.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Has anyone ever done this? I was thinking of this the other day but I may be dreaming. I mean of course I would... or should I say can't get high grades, so I was thinking low grades. But having one of each of the key dates like Lincoln, Merc, Peace and the more easier to obtain series might be manageable. Some of the other series will always remain out of reach like Trade Dollars and old Large cents.

But I'm seriously thinking of trying to at least get a small collection going of key date coins from different series. If you would buy, which way would you go? get low grades of each series or high grades of only a few?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Why just what others have labeled the keys? If you ask serious collectors of a series, there are many coins just as scarce as certain "keys", but just aren't recognized as it.

I understand your thoughts, and even put aside some 1927s quarters when I was younger since they were semi-key. If I were you, get a really good book on a series, and learn about unappreciated coins, basically semi-keys but aren't recognized as such by the general press, if you wanted to chase something like this. Any coin already labelled a "key" to me is already way overpriced.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Quality bests quanity. Collect what you like.

5. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Key Dates for all series??I can't even get one for one series, I can't even find a 1950 D Jefferson to buy, for heaven's sake. Well thats just me, collect what you like

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I think that a lot of the coins with the potential to raise in value are "semi-keys". For example the 1916 d dime is really OVERpriced- although it has a low mintage they are all over the place. Even at a little 10 table coin show someone will have one or more. I may be wrong but I do not see how tht coin can continue to hold that much value.

7. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Really? I nabbed one not too long ago for about $15 and it has 5 steps in BU condition. :)

8. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thanks. I'm going to look for some semi keys, but first things first I have to get some books. Right now I only have one book and that is on Morgan dollars. This will save me some money too, of course if I see a key date coin for a good price I may grab it too.

9. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Some keys may be worth picking up if you can afford them. I'd get problem free examples though. I really wish I had purchased the 16D Mercury dime when I could have had a nice F pice for under $300. Now a crummy G sells for over $1000. But, like many here have stated, a lot of semi key dates can be had for very little over common date prices. Just beware, keys are the most counterfeited coins.
    Guy

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Are you hoarding, speculating, (acquiring random key dates or multiple examples of given key dates) or collecting? I have seen a lot of collectors who rather than trying to build a series or even a date set do a type set instead. Then to make the type set more interesting they fill the holes in the set with keys or semi keys. This sounds like what your goal is and it is just fine. And when it does come time to sell your type set is going to attract a lot more interest that the typical set.

11. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

I saw at least 8 at a recent show- most AG03 or G04, but one was even FR02. Asking prices were rediculous. IIRC $600+ even for the fair.
    While I collect the Merc series, I don't plan on aquiring the 16-d for quite some time. I'm more looking for another 1921-D ( I sold my F-12 example 10 years ago) and a 1921-P in VF+ for a good price.

12. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

And to answer the OP, You could collect just the "keys" as an investment, but IMO nothing is more satisfying than having a complete, matched set.

13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'm buying slabbed keys now in the best condition I can afford, as many prices are down significantly since the 2008 economic crash.

14. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I would rather have a very high-grade, or toned 'common' date coin for the type set, than a key date. I am a collector, not an investor, so future values mean nothing to me.
    Again though, to each their own!

15. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

Found mine in a junk bin for $5-10 IIRC.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Are you serious, there are literally hundreds of 1950-D's available on E-Bay including several MS67 examples. And here is a nice 1950-D on Heritage which will probably sell for about $50.

1950-D Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS65 FS Heritage

To the OP, my advice is not to buy low grade examples of all of the key date coins. I would pick your favorite key date coin and spend as much money as you can to get the highest graded example that you can. When you tell someone that you own a 1916-D Mercury Dime and they say "really what grade?" you will see the disappointment when you reply G4. Now tell them you own an AU example and watch them drool.

17. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

The reason I'm thinking of picking up key dates or semi-key dates now. Is mainly because if in the future I decide to go for a series, I won't have to pay through the nose for a good one. And if I decide not to go for it I might sell it to fund whichever series I choose to go for.

I'm not looking into them as investment, if the prices go up thats great if they don't, oh well not the biggest deal.

18. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

I kinda started thinking about this and was leaning toward it.
    My friend has pretty much decided to do a type set with keys or semi keys.

It cost a lot but is a great collection and probably a good investment.

19. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

I wish I had the decipline to buy only 1950d nickels...

There gonna be big winners

But the collector in me wants one of everything :(

20. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

They were hoarded in MS rolls. I have 4 whitman folders, not one 50-d in curculated condition, the other holes are filled with other 50s

21. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, you want to find a rarity? Try finding a 50d nickel or 1964 half or quarter in circulated condition. :) The 50d will be much easier than the other two.

Draft saved Draft deleted