Buying IKE's

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by scouter35, Oct 24, 2011.

1. scouter35

scouter35 New Member

Hey guys,
    my first question is: what exactly is an IKE???
    Also, what would one say to a bank teller to ask for them:eek:? Because i am the only collector at my main bank, and i am wondering if they have them.

(P.S., i want to order a box of halves to go through, so how would i do that, and what is the process?:smile)

Thanks
    scouter35

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

An "Ike" dollar refers to Eisenhower dollars minted between 1971-1978.
    Here is an Ike dollar:

myCoin.php?a=9&c=img4e6d4e7026c6c.jpg

I just simply ask the teller if they have any "large Eisenhower dollars". The teller will certianly know what your are talking about. Also, you can ask the teller or the branch manager if they would order boxes of half dollars for you. It's as simple as that. Some banks will do it, others will not. My bank will do it, but I had to promise not to change them back in at their branch.

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Believe me, every bank I deal with is more than happy to get rid of Ike's, Sac/Presidential dollar coins and halves... so just ask and (if they have them) they'll be happy to exchange them for paper currency, dollar for dollar. Now that's a bargain, LOL.

5. scouter35

scouter35 New Member

Thanks gbroke, that really helped. i am stopping to the bank tomorrow.:yes:

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

From my experience at my bank, in regards to Ike's:

It could be months before they actually say 'yeah, we have some of those'. In fact, it really has only been two times that they actually had some (at my main bank). The first time it was 800 of them, and the second time it was 300. Both were results of some older people bringing in their hoard. So, my point is, randomly stop in even if you don't have any business to do there and ask! Just because they don't have any for awhile, doesn't mean they won't have some the next day.

Good luck on your hunt!

7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

If you want to collect Ikes the best bet is to buy an album and search mint sets, proof sets, and BU rolls for choice specimens. There are also lots of varieties to seek and these are more likely to be found in rolls at the bank.

Most banks don't keep these in stock so just keep asking if they have them.

Draft saved Draft deleted