Buy Ancients in Plastic Holders

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Another video featuring ancients. Last interview with Vagi cracked me up.

Okidoki, austyn and randygeki like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

tosh and nonsense

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Too bad he didn't mention this on the vid (not that I disagree with him): "NGC Ancients is committed to grading only genuine coins, but it does not guarantee authenticity, genuineness or attribution, nor is any guarantee of these aspects implied."

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Why the heck would they allow someone to be so self serving? Why didn't they let Harlan Berk say "one should only buy ancients from me, since I am the only dealer who sells authentic coins"?

I liked Mr Vagi much more when he was a nice, knowledgable dealer.

6. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Therefore worthless in my own opinion...whats the point?????

7. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

if ever a scam was put in place to con the new collector or random purchaser, this is it ....unbelievable.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I just emailed Coinweek with our concerns. I will let you know if I hear back from them.

Jwt708, randygeki and coingeek12 like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

even more...

They've been busy.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Ancients and grading and authentication. Good grief, they cannot even get it right with machine struck coins - HTH do you expect they will be on target with hand engraved, hand struck coins?

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

if I ever buy a ancient coin I want someone there I can trust to say it's authentic and to know what a reasonable price is for a certain coin.

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

10-15 years from now I will want a bee coin from the Greek. I understand that the higher the grade the more expensive they get. I understand that part. I just need to know it's authentic and what the correct price is.

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Bee coins can be found from Ephesus, and they are not often counterfeited in bronze because they are very common.

[​IMG]

I like insects on ancient coins also for some crazy reason.

Here is one from Chersonesos:

[​IMG]

spirityoda, TIF and John Anthony like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is the role of the seller. If you can not say that about the dealer you are about to patronize, just walk away and find one who you do trust. If you buy a coin David Vagi mistakenly says is genuine, he'll point out that his disclaimer does not guarantee the authenticity or correctness of their opinions. If you buy a bad coin from any of a thousand other sellers that are honest and subscribe to the standard code of ethics, you will get your money back. The role of the slabber is to make it possible for the ignorant to sell coins to the ignorant. I'd prefer to patronize those who have put a life's work into understanding their subject and who will stand behind their items with a lifetime money back guarantee. Do all sellers do business this way? No, but the ones that someone ready to buy his first expensive coin should. There is no reason to pay a third party for a service that you should be getting for free just so you can buy coins out of the back of a pickup at a flea market. Several of these videos have featured Harlan Berk. The coins he is selling Raw are just a genuine as the ones in the slabs. Did you notice that the coins he was handling were alive and breathing?

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Did you notice the advice of Sam Spiegal included 'talk to other people'. That is what you are doing here on CT. We also could provide a third party grading service but most of us are too genteel to say outright, "You sure got taken on that dog", so perhaps there is a place in the hobby for someone you trust even if you do not know his name to guarantee that you will pay $100 for a $50 coin. If I were wanting a third party opinion on a really expensive coin, I would send it to David Sear who will offer the same quality opinion and return the coin with a photo certificate rather than a slab that keeps me from seeing, photographing and weighing the coin unless I am willing to pay another fee for a reslab. If you have a Sear certificate issued the first year he offered the service, is it worth less than one he offers today? If you have a US coin in the first version of a TGP service holder, is it worth as much in the market as one issued this week? Do you think this will be different when the ancient TGP companies change their plastic?

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

good points to take in dougsmit. I of course will buy 2-3 books first. then a possible price guide.. not sure they have those avaluable yet ??? the bronze bee's I think I can do. the silver high grade ones I will definitely seek a lot of research and ask many peoples opinions before I buy an expensive one.

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am not ready for high priced ancients yet. My max on a coin I spent so far is $375.00 and that was made in 2 payments. I understand the deep pocketed coin collectors will probably laugh at me for this.... but this is my coin budget. that was a long time ago too. the coins I buy now are in the $5.00-70.00 range. times are tight.

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I do not know of a "price guide". I check recent sales and coins offered for sale to guage what the value might be of any particular coin.

I have perhaps a dozen coins or so in my collection of over 600 ancient coins that cost me north of $375. Most were under $100 and many of those under $50. But, then again, I am a cheap bottom feeder.

spirityoda likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

well. I like detail on a coin but I understand some better detail brings way more money.

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Do you think I don't like detail? Everyone of us want coins with detail. I find a lot with great detail well within my budget. Here's an example of a coin that cost me just under $100:
    L. THORIUS BALBUS.jpg
    L. THORIUS BALBUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS THORIA AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Head of Juno wearing goat-skin headdress, acronym I. S. M. R. behind. REVERSE: Bull charging right, F. above, L THORIVS below, BALBVS in exergue Struck at Rome 105 BC
    3.92g, 19mm
    Cr 316/1, Sydenham 598, Thoria 1

And here is one that cost me well under $50:
    Constantine_II_20.jpg
    CONSTANTINE II AE Follis
    OBVERSE: FL CL CONSTANTINVS IVN N C, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, the prince in military dress standing right, holding globe and spear, F-T across fields, mintmark BTR.
    Struck at Trier 317-8 AD
    3.2g, 19.5mm
    RIC VII 173

Gil-galad, RaceBannon, TIF and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted