Bugo's Finds of the Day

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bugo, Jun 4, 2013.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Today was a good day. I found 3 bicentennial quarters for my rainy day collection, a 1959 nickel, and silver dimes from 1959 and 1964. That makes 14 silver dimes in a week. I'm having mad luck. I also saw about 10 1965-1970 dimes but I didn't buy them. Friday it's off to the bank for 10 rolls of circulated dimes. Maybe my streak will continue.

Briboy07 and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PittsburghMom

PittsburghMom Active Member

Wow. Congrats! I have tried for yrs and have never even found 1 silver coin from Bank of America, Chase or Citizens. Do you bank at a smaller bank?

4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I work in a store, and I find the coins there. I'm not sure what bank we use, but I may ask and buy some dimes from them.

ace71499 likes this.
  5. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Congrats bugo & hope the streak continues!

bugo likes this.
  6. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Today was a quiet night. All I found were nickels from 1938 and 1946. I looked through several rolls of dimes and didn't find a single silver dime.

7. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

The silver dime streak has ended, but I've found some other interesting coins the last few days. I've found a bunch of wheats, some old nickels, some half dollars, lots of bicentennials (I save them to spend on a rainy day. I know they're not worth anything but they were only made 2 years and are somewhat interesting. I like the design on the reverse.) I found a few foreign coins Some Canadian pennies, and a 1917 French 50 centimes coin (85% silver!) in the Coinstar reject bin (I thought the Coinstar bin finds were rare and I didn't expect to find anything, but I hit a grand slam home run on my first try.) Today, I found a 1988 British penny in a roll of American pennies (even though the British penny is noticeably larger than the American cent.) I also found a 1999 Venezuelan 20 bolivares a month or so ago when a woman had a bunch of change in her hand and i noticed the coin and told her we couldn't accept it but that I'd give her a quarter for it. I probably got burned on the exchange rate, but I was happy to get a coin that is rarely seen in Indian Country, the store was happy because they made the sale, and the customer was happy because she was able to spend a "worthless" coin.

8. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I also found a 1990 series $20 bill. It's going into my spend-if-I-have-to cache but hopefully I'll be able to hang on to it.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Fun stuff. This is what collecting is all about.

Endeavor and bugo like this.
  10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I also acquired a 1935 (I think, the date is pretty worn) buffalo nickel. My friend got a bunch when he worked at a store and told me about them. Yesterday I asked him if I could buy one and he said yes. I was prepared to offer him $5 (yeah, I know it isn't "worth it" but a nickel that old in circulation makes it worth the extra money) and he said "i'll sell it to you for a nickel." He ended up just giving it to me.

Pixl Pirate likes this.
  11. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

I searched 28 rolls of dimes today and didn't find any silver but i did find one proof. And yesterday i searched 25 rolls and it was the same way.

So, 2 days, 2 proofs, no silver

12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I can't believe I found so many silver dimes in such a short period. The only thing that I could think of is that somebody cashed in a roll of old dimes at the bank and they mixed them in with newer dimes and rolled them up by machine. That would make sense to why they have disappeared.

I also found a surprisingly nice shiny 1958 wheat. It's nicer than many 5 year old coins that I see.

13. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I only found 5 coins today and 4 were bicentennials, but one little dime made the day a success: a 1953. It's in good condition and even shines a bit like only a silver coin can. I pulled it out of a roll. Hopefully my streak is back on.

14. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Today it was a Series 1977 $10 bill, 1941 nickel, 1941 wheat penny, and a 1943 steel penny. The '43 has some scratches on the left side of the obverse, but is in otherwise good shape. It was nice to find one in circulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I obviously haven't figured out how to photograph coins.

Pixl Pirate and spirityoda like this.
  15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Last night at work 2 different customers in a row paid for their merchandise with coins, including a bunch of dimes. The first customer was tossing the coins on the table when I heard the unmistakable sound of silver hitting the counter. I noticed that several of the coins were dull and tarnished and my heart started racing. I looked through the dimes and found 4 silver dimes. The next customer also paid with many dimes, and I saw the same tarnished silver that I had just seen. I pulled 5 silvers out of this pile. I found 9 tonight and 24 in the last month. The dimes are from 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1957 (2), 1958, and 1960. Amazingly, I didn't find any 1964s. Of the 15 that I found a few weeks ago, about 8 of them were 1964s. All of the dimes are dull and quite tarnished, and the '56 is bent. This was my most successful find so far this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

The last few days I've found a couple of wheat pennies and a nickel or two (and of course, some bicentennial quarters) but my find of the day was 10 buffalo nickels that I bought off a friend needing cigarette money for $1. At least 9 of them are from the 1930s. The dates are 1930, 1934, 1935, 1936 (4), 1937 (2). One of the dates is unreadable. Between the 9 silver dimes I found last week and this stash, I've had a successful last few days.

jj00 likes this.
  17. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Spotted tonight: 1959 penny, series 2003A $2 bill, and a 2009 Indian 1 rupee coin. What are the odds of finding an Indian coin in Oklahoma?

Pixl Pirate likes this.
  18. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I pulled it out of a roll at work. I've been searching for silver quarters for several months now and I thought they were all gone from circulation, but somehow this one survived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirityoda likes this.
  19. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Spotted tonight: 1959 and 1960 pennies, 1928, 1937, 1956, and 1958 wheat pennies, a 1995 half, and a 1979 SBA dollar coin.

20. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Tonight I found a really shiny 1964 penny, 2 1944 and 1 1946 wheat pennies, a 1954 nickel, a 1980 British "new penny" (what is a "new penny" anyway?), a 1994 British penny, and 4 bicentennial quarters, one which was found underneath a Coinstar machine.

21. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Tonight was interesting. I found an SBA dollar from 1979, a 1941 nickel, and wheat pennies from 1951, 1952, and 1910. The 1910 wheat is the oldest coin that I've yet found in circulation. It's in good shape for being 103 years old.

Draft saved Draft deleted