British fans: Spot the Error?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bart9349, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I think I'm correct when I say both these coins' slabs have a serious error. Comments?

1717ob.jpg 1717rb.jpg

1724 F.jpg

guy

TJC likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Pictures way too small to tell, and I am not one on the Great Britain type.

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

My, what big farthings you have!

Ripley, Bart9349 and Numismat like this.
  5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Once again you have proven your keen observation. :D

Especially when one considers the 1717 farthing above is supposed to be a "dump" (or smaller) farthing.

Here's a real 1717 dump farthing below for comparison (note the break of the legend on the obverse and the placement of leaf on the reverse) 1717Fo.jpg :
    1717Fr.jpg
    1717FSo.jpg

"The death of Queen Anne thwarted attempts to issue her farthing, but the need for a copper coinage was no less after the accession of King George I (1714–1727). The price of copper had risen, so the new farthings were lighter than the previous issue, at 4.5–5.3 grams. The farthings struck in 1717 looked slightly odd as they were smaller, and thicker than the previous issues, with a diameter of 20–21 millimetres, and they are known as dump farthings. Farthings of 1719–1724 are slightly larger, at 22–23 millimetres, but are of the same weight"

Other opinions appreciated,

guy

Ripley likes this.
  6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I only caught it because I've made similar errors myself. When working through a large group of coins and a single piece like this presents itself, it's an easy mistake to make.

Try giving a call to NGC. They should correct an error like this gratis.

Draft saved Draft deleted