benefit being graded 1884 o morgan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by daytripper, Apr 27, 2012.

1. daytripper

daytripper New Member

good day everyone, i am new to coin forums, but not new to collecting. i started collecting coins and currency when i was about 8 yrs old. its a decent collection which i am constantly adding to. i am going to pass it down to my kids when my time comes. recently i acquired an 1884 O Morgan. normally i know about what a coin is valued at, but i am stumped here. i have shown it to 4 different people, 2 of which were working in a coin shop, and i have gotten 4 very different answers. so i am wondering if this is a borderline great condition coin that i should mail in and have graded, or just put a note on the case for my kids. any opinions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Your photos are too out of focus to be able to help you at all regarding the grade of the coin.

What did the 4 people tell you? Were they in disagreement as to whether the coin is circulated or mint state? Were they in agreement that the coin is uncirculated (or circulated) but disagree as to the exact grade? Did they not agree as to whether the coin has been cleaned, polished or whizzed? (It looks like it may have been polished in the photos but, as I said, the photos are too blurry for me to make out much at all.) Do some of them think the coin is genuine but others think the coin is fake?
  4. daytripper

daytripper New Member

no just way different values from $40 to $350. here are some better pics(i think,used macro with digi camera instead of iphone), thanks a bunch!!

Attached Files:

5. daytripper

daytripper New Member

oops, theese pics came out wore than the others, ill try again
  6. jhinton

jhinton Active Member

No where near $350. These pictures are also lacking in focus but your coin does look un-circulated or About un-circulated. My money would be that the $40 dollar quote was correct or close to it. The value is dependant on the grade and the 1884-O Morgans are quite common so even in MS65 you are looking at around $130-$150 dollars.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball Cannot Re-Member

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

My first thought is that the coin has been polished. Besides being blurry, it looks like you are using light from just one source, and I see no evidence of luster at all.

Chris
  8. daytripper

daytripper New Member

9. daytripper

daytripper New Member

well i will admit, i do not know how to take a good picture of a coin thats for sure! should i use more than one light?
  10. daytripper

daytripper New Member

jhinton, my main concern exactly, would it be beneficial to get it graded, i went on pcgs's site but im not seeing a price list for cost to have a coin graded.
  11. jhinton

jhinton Active Member

As others have said, I do not think your coin will get a solid grade. It may have AU or UNC details, but it looks polished from your pictures.

Edit: after looking at your pictures more, I don't even think it has UNC details. My opinion is that this is a melt value coin. That may change with better pictures but I doubt it.