beginners luck newbie here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by coinling, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coinling

coinling New Member

I never thought much about coins until I bought a Morgan Silver Dollar from China through ebay. It just kinda looked like a real neat coin and I got pulled into bidding and won it for $32.71 with $1 for shipping. It is a 1879 Morgan Silver Dollar, Carson City mint, XF-40. You can probably guess the rest!! China offers so many opportunities for coin collectors ... and so many counterfeits ... you have to be careful ... but hey! ... you know the old saying 'High risk 4 High gain!' ... love the adventure!!!
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

Welcome to CoinTalk!
  4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of IL/RU/US/DE

By luck you mean that you got a real 1879 Morgan Silver Dollar Carson City in XF-40? I am not sure I can guess the rest... Did you realize the coin is fake? Or did you check it and found out its real?
  5. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

Even though it is probally a fake, still a neat coin to look at, and what not!
  6. coinling

coinling New Member

Morgan silver dollars from this sellers vanished all to quickly! I don't think it is fake! It looks and feels very authentic. I have some counterfeit coins from China that look and feel fake! What would it cost to get it certified?
  7. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of IL/RU/US/DE

There is a chance it is indeed made of silver, but I`ll believe its not a fake after I see it slabbed. It doesn't matter how quickly they vanish, eBay is full of morons.

Not sure about certification price, but if I`m not wrong, someone here mentioned it starts from the $35 area. You can find more on NGC/PCGS/ANACS websites.
  8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney New Member

This thread should probably be ignored. It's a non-introduction thread about buying a fake Chinese-made US coin. Another troll?

And if I'm off-base, to the OP: your coin is fake, all the other ebay coin replicas from China are fakes.

EDIT: If I haven't been clear, I think it's a spambot. Brand new user, not following protocol, with an agenda. OP, please refute me if I'm wrong (I doubt he will...).
  9. coinling

coinling New Member

I never mentioned it being made of silver. And as for it being 'slabbed' ... what will it's being encapsulated in plastic have to do with the price of green cheese on the moon? ... and what is a moron?
  10. coinling

coinling New Member

That's good .. a replica is a fake! Good shot! I'm educated by .... Lon Chaney? Did you play frankenstein or is this a coincident name?
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney New Member

And I rest my case.
  12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney New Member

Boris Karloff played Frankenstein's monster, if that's what you're thinking. Chaney was a horror star before talkies. And yes, he's obviously my namesake.
  13. coinling

coinling New Member

Dear Lon,
    The Judge has thrown your case out of court. Rest well!
  14. Sully

Sully New Member

Read his name slowly. I'm betting he's the seller of said coin and not the buyer.

15. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Dont feed the troll
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney New Member

Good call. I see what you're saying.
    Lock the thread before a Chinese fake ebay listing link is posted?
    Lon Chaney out.
    hunchback.jpg
  17. green18

green18 Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, we could ask the OP to post a pic, but that might be construed as feeding.......:)
  18. green18

green18 Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh, and Peter Boyle also played Frankenstein.......:) But he was a 'young one'.......
  19. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

20. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

What is up w/ these poor spelling, non-sense making posters lately

Ask for a pic, and they ignore it, and say random things.

P1 "Pic please"

fake OP "The choukolate tastes grete whin digestoid wiph flashlight brightnees."

o_O

21. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney New Member

Frank-En-Steen! It's pronounced Frank-En-Steen!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.