Barr note history and value help!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by mpcusa, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

A neighbor of mine came over with 5 of these $1 Barr notes Series 1963B notes all appear to be gem uncirculated any help with history and value would be appreciated
    He maybe interested in parting with them as well

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Over 83 million printed for the L-G block, the total for series 1963B $1's is over 458 million....my price guide shows $5 for Ch-CU.
    I have many 1963B star notes, but never had any interest in the non-stars.

4. RedSeals

RedSeals New Member

Joseph Barr was only Treasury Secretary for a very short period of time from 1968-1969.

From wiki:

United States paper money always depicts the signature of the Secretary of the Treasury; because of Barr's short term, collectors speculated notes bearing his signature would be scarce. A common misconception is that currency bearing Barr's name is rare. In reality, 458,880,000 $1.00 notes were printed bearing his signature (although none in other denominations), but due to the $1.00's limited lifespan (they only last an average of 21 months in circulation)[SUP][2][/SUP] it is unknown how many still exist.

Basically, notes with his signature were hoarded and are not worth very much today (save for star notes and maybe an odd district/run)

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Thanks for the info, i will tell him to put them back in the drawer...LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted