Astarte + Trajan obverse, provincial

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Aug 28, 2013.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Another new pickup. Well, all of my ancients are somewhat new pickups since I only recently contracted Ancient Fever.

Stumbled upon this type while browsing wildwinds, was smitten. Would love to find a specimen as fine as the wildwinds example but this one is still pretty nice and I was lucky enough to get it at auction for a reasonable price.

Trajan-Astarte.jpg

PHOENICIA, Aradus
    Trajan. AD 98-117
    Æ22, 9.65 g
    CY 375 (AD 116/7)
    Obverse: draped bust of Astarte-Europa right; before, small laureate and draped bust of Trajan
    Reverse: bull charging left
    SNG Copenhagen 81; BMC 374

dougsmit, stevex6, Bing and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Very interesting coin. I especially like it with the Emperor in the distance, not the main subject of the coin. Very cool and unusual!

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a fabulous coin! Great detail, and a perfect desert "patina".

I've only got one Trajan to share, but it's one of my prized possessions...

[​IMG]

stevex6, randygeki, Windchild and 2 others like this.
  5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Look who found a new home!:eek:

Oh and its even nicer the second time around...:rolleyes:

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yeah, this is great! Get to post them twice :) And after certain threads elsewhere died down I was jonesin' for more. Hello, CoinTalk!

Risky though. Now I'll be exposed to a bunch more coins that will induce lust and reckless spending. But I'm sure you've never experienced that, Anoob... :rolleyes:

JohnA-- that is one fine Trajan. Lately many of the coins which catch my eye are Trajans. He has many interesting reverses. And for a Roman emperor he seems like one of the more decent human beings so I can further rationalize purchasing his coins as 'paying respect' (yeah, it's a stretch but I needz my rationalz)

John Anthony likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I also really respect Trajan. Btw so did the Romans. Remember the old blessing, "May you be luckier than Augustus and better than Trajan". I am sure I butchered it, but you get the idea.

Personally, from a coin point of view, I think the "five good emperors" are better to collect than the 12 Caesars, especially considering price.

8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Great pickup!

Here is the best imo of my few Trajans:

(a little tooled unfortunately but I think it still looks great)

[​IMG]

stevex6, randygeki, Windchild and 3 others like this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

still fine lookin'! love the color, black and sand with bronze highlights.

10. John Anthony

He was definitely one of the better rulers, and you're right about the reverse designs - a lot of variety there. But his portraits are also very striking - you can't mistake him for anyone else.

I'll echo Chris's comment about the portraits on your coin: it's interesting and unusual that the emperor's bust is smaller than Astarte's. Very nice choice!

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very cool coin, never seen that type before. I like the reverse especially.

my only trajan

[​IMG]
    Trajan (98 - 117 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P, Laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder.
    R: COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC, Spes walking left, flower in right, raising hem of skirt.
    Rome
    3.5g
    20mm
    SRCV II 3127, RIC II 127, RSC II 84

stevex6, randygeki, Windchild and 2 others like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

TIF => fantastic new Trajan (nice lookin' bull)

:eek:

I have 3 Trajans that I'd like to add to your great thread (hope that's okay?):

AR Tetradrachm
    Trajan & Tyche a.jpg Trajan & Tyche b.jpg

AE Dupondius
    Trajan Dupondius a.jpg Trajan Dupondius b.jpg

AE Dichalkon
    trajan rhino a.jpg trajan rhino b.jpg

Bing, John Anthony and TIF like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Three fabulous Trajans, Steve! I'd like one of each please :D

stevex6 likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Astarte is a great coin and sufficiently different that most of us who have collected for a long time don't have to show. Congratulations.

15. John Anthony

TIF, the two examples of this coin at Wildwinds are in a higher grade, but if I was given a choice between the three for my collection, I would pick yours. As far as eye-appeal goes, I have a bias toward coins in lesser grades with desert patinas. Not only do they have character, but they're easier on the budget.

Looking at this coin in the context of the previous semi-autonomous city coins raises a question. Tyche is predominant on the earlier issues, but by the time we get to Nero, she's replaced by Astarte. I wonder what the back-story is - I think it bears more investigation.

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted