Are Your Coins Safe In Your Home Safe?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hobo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I don't think anyone can save them from a Hurricaine anyway. Which brings up the question of Insurance. How do you insure a $200,000 dollar coin collection

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

Nobody knows I collect. Problem solved. Loose lips let out that 80K secret. They obviously cased the victims and went straight for the safe.

I don't get all the paranoid actions. Where do you people live? There is like one home robbery in my entire county each year. And I live near Detroit.

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I've read the whole thread and getting back on track, there's obviously good and bad points to both options. Pick which one you're comfortable with, go with it and shut up about it. That's all you can do. Obviously, there are many safety measures people can take if you're more comfortable keeping things at home. A good safe is a huge investment. For some, it may make more sense to just get the SDB.
    The way people talk though, it's a wonder how there's any B&M coin shops, jewelry stores, gun shops or whatever in existence. They have far more than most collectors and it's out in the open for all to see. And advertised. All their stuff is not at the bank. How are there any left in existence? You would think the grinch would have came through and left only wires hanging on the walls at these places. Nobody's at these places at night when the crooks are out. What deters them? Obviously there's measures that people can take to secure a place if they choose to and are willing to spend the money.

When it comes to safes, you have to ask if we're talking about a little sentry fire (non-burglar rated) safe or a real safe. It's comparing apples and oranges. Add on top of this a multitude of factors that have already been discussed. Location being a big one. Something that is easily accessible out in a garage is going to be more susceptible than something hidden that is not easily accessible. In one situation, the whole safe being hauled away to be worked on is a concern. In another, that is not a concern. Every safe should be internally bolted down.

A flat out yes or no answer to this question doesn't work. It depends on how far somebody has went with their security situation. Also knowing that yes, with enough tools and time, nothing is impossible to get into. But some are far harder to get into than others, requiring much more time. Which means, coupled with a security system, the time is not available.

As far as being held up at gun point, what stops them from sending you off to the bank while they wait at home with your family? I would be more worried in that situation than dealing with it on the spot. If you're nervous about this happening, 49 states have concealed carry laws. You should carry every day if you have the right. It's coming to IL soon too. But for now, people in IL will just have to have their guns stashed somewhere, where they can get to them, ready to go if they hear glass breaking while they're sitting at home. At that point, it is not the time to start thinking about how to protect yourself or wish you would have had a gun ready to go nearby. This might mean you need 3 or 4 guns around and available, depending on how big your house is.

To some people it sounds crazy, but there's thousands of people who wish they would have been prepared. But it's too late for them now. Nobody should expect a wake up call to let them know that today a couple guys are coming to rob and kill you. It just happens at random. It doesn't matter how much or how little you have at home. I have a couple tvs worth a few grand. I've got computers and plenty of other electronics. Am I safe as long as I store my collection off site?
    If you don't want to be prepared, then it's the same as saying you don't care and you'd rather take chances with your family's safety in order to save money and be lazy. You may as well not wear a seat belt either. You've rode in the car thousands of times so you "probably" won't get in an accident today. Just like you probably won't get robbed today. But that's never a 100% known.

I know some don't ever want to assume responsibility for themselves but that's often the difference between survivors and victims.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Yes, of course, and I have for many years. Why wouldn't you be able to?

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Ok - but how do you make those airtight?

7. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I don;t keep valuables at home.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Ruben, I use tuppeware containers. Slabs and desiccants go inside. Not 100% airtite, but airtite enough.

9. Owle

Owle Junior Member

This question, as usual, depends entirely on the person.

I would not want a great deal of valuables in my home, home invasions are becoming increasingly a problem, those who know you and may get evil thoughts when drunk or desperate. If thieves break in and they would actually have to take you to your bank, or drive out to your storage facility, that would give you a big advantage.

There was this case in Vegas recently. Had the owner stored her valuables at the bank, etc., this could have been prevented: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=855122

10. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

Has anyone ever read this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Stewart_Gardner_Museum

[h=2]Art theft of 1990[/h]
    In the early morning hours of March 18, 1990 – as the city was preoccupied with Saint Patrick's Day celebrations – a pair of thieves disguised as Boston police officers entered the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and roamed the museum's galleries, stealing thirteen works of art.
    They gained entry into the museum by stating that they were responding to an emergency call. The guard on duty broke protocol and allowed them entry through the museum’s security door. Once inside, the thieves asked that the guard come around from behind the desk, claiming that they recognized him and that there was a warrant out for his arrest. The guard walked away from the desk and away from the only alarm button. The guard was told to summon the other guard on duty to the security desk, which he did. The thieves then handcuffed both guards and took them into the basement where they were secured to pipes and their hands, feet, and heads were duct taped. The two guards were placed 40 yards away from each other in the basement. The next morning, the security guard arriving to relieve the two night guards discovered that the museum had been robbed and notified the police and Director Anne Hawley.[SUP][8][/SUP]
    The stolen artworks include The Concert by Vermeer (one of only 34 known works by Vermeer in the world), three works byRembrandt including The Storm on the Sea of Galilee (the artist’s only known seascape) and a postage-stamp-sized Self-Portrait, five drawings by Degas, Chez Tortoni by Manet, a landscape painting formerly attributed to Rembrandt, and two objects, an ancient Chinese Ku and a finial in the shape of an eagle from a Napoleonic flag.[SUP][9][/SUP] Several empty frames hang in the Dutch Room gallery, both in homage to the missing works and as a placeholder for their eventual return.
    The stolen artworks have not yet been returned to the museum. However, the investigation remains an open, active case and a top priority of the museum and of the FBI in Boston. Some media estimates have put the value of the stolen artworks at as much as $500 million, making the theft the largest single property theft in recorded history. An offer of a reward from the Gardner Museum of up to $5 million for information leading to the recovery of the stolen artwork remains open.

[h=3][edit][/h]

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Holy COW!! They stole a Vermeer and one of the most famous Rembrandts because of a lazy security guard?!? There were no camera's or alarms protecting maybe half a billion dollars worth of art?

UNBELIEVABLE. They just sold a Man Screeming for 120+ million dollar. Can you even IMAGINE what a Vermeer is worth?

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Some media estimates have put the value of the stolen artworks at as much as $500 million, making the theft the largest single property theft in recorded history.

13. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Bet you a slice the Munch is worth more than any Vermeer. The Munch painting is ingrained into the modern psyche, pictures in every Psych 101 textbook.

14. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

All of them are probably residing in some rich old guys collection right now. :|

15. areich

areich America*s Darling

I was going to disagree with you, but perhaps your right. I seriously doubt that anything would outsell the Women with a Pearl Earing or the Milkmaid.

16. CoinTopia

CoinTopia New Member

I agree, it seems to be that home break ins are trending steadily upwards.

17. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Pretty tough to do when it's a sunken floor safe in the garage, with a parked vehicle's tire directly on top of the door!

(Needless to say, there's lots of dessicant in the safe, and it gets recharged often.)

18. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Wait till budget cuts start hiting local governments...

19. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

get a few rottweilers. that will scare off 99.9% of home invaders.

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

whats to wait? It already has happened.

21. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

One thing regarding security, and I just thought of it last night. Most newer digital cameras have GPS, so that one can date stamp and geographical stamp photos with pretty exact locations. It is imbedded in the photo as metadata. So, I'd advise turning off the GPS functionality when taking pictures of one's coins, as that kind of gives a pretty accurate road map to where one lives. Not kidding or being far-fetched. My work has taught me a lot about metadata in photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted