Are Your Coins Safe In Your Home Safe?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hobo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Good point. I wonder what conditions my coins in a SDB will be. Should I put dessicant in the box, or do they usually control for humidity?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Easily handled with air-tight containers, desiccants, and regular checkups -- and the challenge is really no different at home.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

the object, i suppose, it to keep someone from being defensive and to tell them stand on their feet. Your a grown up. If you think that your post had value, you don't need me to justify it :) So don't pout. I didn't pout when you disagreed with me.Not even when someone took pot shots at my watch parrot.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

can you do that with slabs?

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The thing is at home generally you have temperature and humidity control.

my hand hurts from all this typing :(

7. medoraman

Just saying, Ruben, that the means of communicating in NYC, (maybe Jersey, Philly, and possibly Boston), is different than the rest of the country. What seems normal is seen as brusque and rude. Conversely, you see posts from other areas of the country as passive and weak.

I can handle posting with you man, just need to put my NYC attitude on. :)

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Trust me. People from other parts of the country are equally rude. They just do it differently.

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

is this enough thread drift now or should we continue ;)

10. medoraman

Does anyone have experience with the kinds of conditions in expect in SDBs. Before I only kept junk in them, but now have decent coins. I know it will depend on the physical location, but it is a business right so you would expect heat and cooling to be within normal parameters, right? What is your experience with moisture levels? I am asking since sometimes at home if I was not running the AC, (live in a forest by a lake), the humidity would really climb and I had to change the dessicant often. Should I expect the same in a SDB in the summer?

11. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I've not had any issues with the coins in my SDB, but they've only been there for what? 9 months now or so.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Absolutely !

Depends, some do and some don't. But I've built several banks that have humidifiers in them specifically for the safety deposit box areas. They do this because paper gets too dried out and deteriorates if the humidity is not kept up.

13. Melonsmash3r

Melonsmash3r Coin Hoarder

That's really interesting, most people would think it's great and safe to keep all your coins and valuables in a safe, but thieves can get into anything. The best thing you can do it have a safe bolted or attached to your house or keeping all your valuables in a bank's safe, your allowed to and it's free. Thanks for sharing!

14. medoraman

You must have a really nice bank. My large SDB runs me $125 a year. :(

15. Melonsmash3r

Oh wow, that's pretty pricey, which bank is it? I use Wachovia.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

how much is that in ebay fees? Just flip them a cleaned bust half every year and tell them they should be happy with that.

17. Melonsmash3r

Oh wow, that's pretty pricey, which bank is it? I use Wachovia

18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I will allow it for now. (Note: I am not a judge. I learned that line from watching Perry Mason.)

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Eh - i won't comment, its not my call

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That is like my favorite show when i was 7. That and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

21. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Thank god my coins are save because the only ones I have are the ones in my pocket change :)

Draft saved Draft deleted