Are these Capped Bust Half Dollars Real?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by BigTee44, Mar 23, 2014.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

My father in law showed me some coins that his grandfather have him and I told him I'd see if they were real or not.

What's your opinions?

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

The 1830 weighs 13.3grams, the other 3 weigh in at 13.5grams

4. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

It is always risky determining the authenticity of a piece over the internet with just pictures. The weight on the 1830 half is odd considering the level of wear but it could just be your scale. They all match know die marriages (1819 O-113, R.1; 1824 O-107, R.2; 1830 O-102, R.3; and 1836 O-122, R.2.) and there do not appear to be any markers of a counterfeit.

Given the above, I see nothing that would lead me to believe these are counterfeits.

Just as a side note, as I sure most of you have, I have noticed far fewer modern counterfeits of early coinage than say Morgans. Possible reasons may be the individuality of each piece or the knowledge level of the collectors.

Jesse

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I think they look pretty real compared to ones I have and the many pics I have seen. I don't think many of these were ever fake back in the day of our Great Grandfathers. The 1819 looks like it might be a 19 over 18. How about a closer pic of the date area. The 1930 is high AU grade. I think they would all get decent grades if sent to NGC or PCGS. I would be proud to have them in my collection. 100_4369.jpg 100_4370.jpg

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Yes, they look real.

and, McBlzr: There is a whole reference on contemporary counterfeits, but none of these look like them.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They look real to me. Nice group.

8. BigTee44

Awesome news!

So now for the 1830, he had these in a glass jar that some of the coins had a green slime on them and one of those coins was stuck to the 1830(reverse right wing)

Do you think acetone would help remove the slime or what else should I try to keep the coin original?

9. BigTee44

As a whole, what do you think these are worth? I told him if they're real they could fetch a few hundred dollars. He said he wanted new tires, so if they are all real I think I might offer to buy them and keep them in the family. Would hate to see them sold to just a dealer and be out of the family forever.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Just the 1830 is worth a few hundred. I would give it an acetone bath. No rubbing or you will kill it's value.

11. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Great group! Nice, well preserved examples. Really like the 1819.

12. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

If you have to give it an acetone bath, I would use a heavily dilute dip. That said, I generally avoid any cleaning unless there's something adhering to the coin that might cause damage.

13. BigTee44

Would I be better off letting it soak in water and dawn to see if that removes the slime?

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Don't use soap of any kind. There is no need to dilute acetone. It's not an acid.

15. BigTee44

It's soaking.... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Draft saved Draft deleted