April Romans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Mar 30, 2014.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, thanks JA ... you are an awesome coin-brother (thanks for the hospitality)

=> hey wait a minute?!! ... ummm, do you still need somebody to shovel the snow off of your driveway?!! (wow man, that's cold, brother)

;)

Oh, and by the way => the neighborhood daughters should be okay (my wife is hotter than your Eagle and/or Steeler cheerleaders!!)

;)

John Anthony likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Here's another pick-up from the show, Valentinian II. I'm somewhat annoyed that I liked this coin yesterday, and now that I've taken a picture of it, I'm less than thrilled.

I could see that some of the patina on the obverse had been cleaned off, but it didn't bother me so much yesterday in light of other merits: the round flan, centered strike, full inscriptions, a handsome portrait, the nice detail on the kneeling figure, and a complete mint mark. Today, however, that missing patina irks me. Live and learn.

It's RIC IX 26(b) with mint mark 7: starASISCdot.

valentinian ii.jpg

chrsmat71, randygeki, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sell it. Thats what I do, or trade it off to VC dealers.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Valentinian II?? ... dude, are you fricken lookin' at my RIC-sheet, or what?

.... man, I need to buy more coins!!

;)

Great new pick-up, JA (congrats, my coin-friend)

*stevex6 edit* => sorry to hear that you're disapponted with your cool new coin (yah, there is nothing more depressing than making a poor coin-purchase) .... well actually, there are several things that are worse, but I'm merely being a drama queen (hey but always remember => it's one of a kind)

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wrong thread :D

stevex6 likes this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahaha ... what thread was that supposed to be in (now I'm all rattled!!)

=> I'm gonna go walk the hounds (time to reload) ... thanks, Coin-Sister

TIF likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not just the neighbors - the whole community!

stevex6 likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Please know how happy it makes me that someone else suffers from Post Show Buyer's Remorse. Every time I go to a big show I come home with at least one 'What was I thinking' coin. Often it is a duplicate of something I already had but failed to find when I scanned my lists and photos but sometimes it is just a minor fault that seems to have grown in the time between the show and the realization that I was a fool for buying it. One such coin recently was given away only to discover that there was something about it I had missed so I could feel bad that I not only bought it but that I gave it away. When you get to a certain point in this process, you may find that 'Live and learn' is glamorizing the situation. We err over and over again but still wait for the 'learn' part to kick in.

TIF and Bing like this.
  10. John Anthony

As mistakes go, it was cheap one, but perhaps my opinion of the coin will change. If I had been looking at a larger expenditure, the missing patina would have been a deal breaker.

11. John Anthony

This Claudius II arrived today. I thought it was a decent bargain bin coin - looks to have been struck from fresh dies, and the legends are only slightly clipped. I was concerned that the green spots might be a problem, but I tested them and they are hard deposits, nothing to worry about.

I like the color of this coin. Either some of the the silvering has remained, or the alloy has enough silver to give the copper an attractive golden-green glint.

Claudius II Gothicus
    AE Antoninianus, 20mm, 3.47g, 12h; Rome mint: 269-70
    Obv.: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG; radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: GENIO EXERCI; Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopiae.
    Reference: RIC 5a 48 (p. 215)

claudius.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    chrsmat71, stevex6, TIF and 2 others like this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin, my victorinus that arrived recently has some of those same hard green spots, so its all good.

John Anthony likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some more nice ones, I like that Valentinian IIa lot

John Anthony likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i like that valentinian ii JA, nice legend.

John Anthony likes this.
  15. John Anthony

The coin I posted at the start arrived a few days ago, and I wasn't disappointed. It may not look like much, but it has some decent qualities. The obverse is average for the series, but the reverse has a very strong strike in the center, rendering Constantinopolis with considerable detail. The mint and field marks are also strong.

Theodosius I
    Ae3; Nicomedia mint, fourth period: 378- 383
    Obv.: DN THEODO-SIVS PF AVG; Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust r.
    Rev.: CONCOR-DIA AVGGG; Constantinopolis, helmeted, seated facing, head r., on throne, holding partly seen spear and globe, r. leg bare, r. foot on prow / A // SMNΓ
    Reference: RIC IX 31(b) mm5 (p. 258) Scarce

theoii.jpg
    Like I said, not much to look at, but a scarce coin, and it's always fun to cherrypick something less than common from a group of ordinary LRB's.

16. Bing

Like you said, very nice reverse strike. Congratulations.

John Anthony likes this.
  17. Bing

Double post

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that one is pretty nice really JA, here' my budget version...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Anthony, randygeki and stevex6 like this.
  19. Bing

Here is my version. The reverse is not near as nice however:
    Theodosius_I_4_opt.jpg
    THEODOSIUS I AE3
    OBVERSE: D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: CONCOR-DIA AVGGG, Constantinopolis seated left, holding globe & sceptre, CONSB in ex.
    Struck at Constantinople 379-83 AD
    2.5g, 18mm
    RIC 57d

John Anthony, randygeki and stevex6 like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

*rats* ... I don't have a Theodosius to toss into the mix (man, I need more coins!!)

:panda:

21. Bing

You'd better get shopping!:greedy:

Draft saved Draft deleted