April Romans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Mar 30, 2014.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've perused that thread before - major information overload, but Jochen certainly knows his stuff. It's one of those threads that I'd like to really study - perhaps as a summer project, when work is a bit lighter.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've not read much of the discussions but Jochen's coin collection (Forvm) is fabulous.

4. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Wha? Alexandreia? Must collect!!!!!:D

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Completely different Alexandria. Interesting but not AS interesting place.

6. John Anthony

Ardatirion and I went to the Red Rose coin show today, and I really didn't expect to find any ancients, but one dealer did have a small selection. Here's a Theodosius II I picked up.

theo.jpg
    The coin is a continuation of a type that had three emperors on the reverse, issued by Arcadius, Honorius, and Theodosius II. When Arcadius died, that made two, and the legend was altered to GLORIA ROMANORVM.

Although the mint mark is mostly off-flan, this is variety A, with one emperor larger than the other, and the legend breaks GLORIA ROMA-NORUM. This variety is only known from Thessalonica, and what remains of the mint mark on this coin does seem to fit TESA.

RIC does not say which of the emperors is the smaller or larger, but presumably Theodosius was the small one, being only 7-years-old when Arcadius died. Honorius was his uncle.

I thought the coin had decent eye-appeal for a 5th-century bronze. Bronzes with blue patinas are uncommon, at least in my limited experience. It's RIC X, 396, issued from 408-23.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    vlaha, randygeki, Eng and 5 others like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition JA. Dont have that emperor, yet.

John Anthony likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Interesting coin JA. I would have loved to gone with you guys.

John Anthony likes this.
  9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

This photographed well. Truly blue patinas are rare, but yours appears to me to have bluish deposits, perhaps as a result of how it was cleaned.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice coin show find JA..hope you guys had fun.

hey, check out this coin...i unintentionally turned it blue when i baked it for drying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry, those pics are bad even for me.

vlaha, Eng, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  11. John Anthony

Yeah, it doesn't look like any bronze I've seen. Probably some reaction to cleaning compounds.

12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Here's my coin of this type, but with Honorius on the obverse instead:

[​IMG]

Fortunately most of the minute details are still there, and can see that the emperors are wearing what looks to be the non-combat uniform for Roman military personnel of the time, such as this one:

[​IMG]

Its a nice coin but I'm currently looking for one better that still has those details on the reverse.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    vlaha, Eng, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

Very interesting. I'm very new to these coins. I wasn't aware there were variations in the clothing types.

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Red Rose Coin Show?

... where is that?

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> huh ... those just happen to be three of the more common Rulers that I do "not" have in my collection "yet" (yup, you guessed it => man, I need to buy more coins!!)

16. John Anthony

Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Get off your lazy ass and buy some coins, man!

stevex6 likes this.
  17. ValiantKnight

Nothing on the scale of completely different clothing articles but yeah, the level of details and look of the emperors differed. Many (at least for me) have over- or under-proportioned and/or simplified features. Basically just like any other ancient coin type. With coins, it's definitely a plus for me if I could look at a ruler and more-or-less accurately imagine what he was wearing and how he looked.

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey Doug => so far, this is the best that I can find (1000 AD) ... and it's a bit suspect (a serpent, rather than a dragon ... but they do mention dragon in the blurb, so I think I get a miniscule bit of credit)

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=22577

Bing likes this.
  19. ValiantKnight

Lol that's basically your catchphrase right there. Get it trademarked pronto!

vlaha and stevex6 like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Pennsylvania, eh? (hopefully I spelt that correctly?)

Huh ... wow, sounds like good times ... you and Ardy out on the town in PA

=> if the Liberty-Bell could talk, eh?

I thought from Ardy's info, he was a Minnesota boy? (umm PA, is that where CNG is located?) ... interesting *stevex6 edit* => huh, not sure why I thought that Ardy was from Minnesota (my bad) ... end of edit

Ummm hey, why didn't you guys invite me? (you guys always ditch me and go and do cool stuff ... man, I hate you guys!!)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  21. John Anthony

Steve, you have a standing invitation to come visit any time you like. Just let me know first so I can tell the neighbors to lock up their daughters.

vlaha and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted