Anyone canceling their order of 75th anniversary sets?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by luke2012, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Coin World reported today that this new set will contain an S ASE and it was planned even before the May 2 announcement of the 2 coin set. Unnamed mint officials apologized for the lack of communication that led customers to believe the S ASE was exclusive to the 2 coin set. WHAT A CROCK! I’m off the mint’s list of suckers and will collect non mint sucker products.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

If collecting something caused me this much anxiety I would quit too.

4. Clint

Clint Member

Amazing. Can you share a link for that?

5. statequarterguy

6. Clint

Clint Member

Well, at least they confirmed the RP will not be offered apart from the set.

7. statequarterguy

Yeah, but the fact remains, this set will not be near what it was thought to be.

8. Danr

Danr Numismatist

It will still be a pretty special thing. Especially if people cancel their orders and thus lower mintages.This may turn out to enhance the value of the set (if it significantly suppresses mintage)

9. statequarterguy

Cancellations/adjustments to final sales usually don’t affect final mintage in a significant way. Even though the RP is worth what we paid, this set is not what it was believed to be and will not return what it could have if both coins were exclusive.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

About 251K of these were ordered. They will be minted to order. If 75K are cancelled/returned, would that not change the final mintage figure to 176K?

11. statequarterguy

If the mint is as incompetent (deceitful) as they appear to be, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that the sales figure for the 2 coin set on their counter was actually orders placed and the actual mintage is 3 or 4 times that number. But at least they’d apologize.

12. statequarterguy

No way there will be that many cancellations - it's still worth the price paid - it's just not going to appreciate as it could have.

13. statequarterguy

I see the CW article says there is no maximum mintage or cutoff date for the C&C set, yet it says there were 50k $5 notes made for the set. Since all that wanted the S ASE ordered a 2 coin set, hopefully the C&C set flops, unlike it would have done if it had a unique mint mark. Unfortunately, since sales of the C&C set will not be brisk, it will probably be offered for a long time, keeping the mintage of the S ASE unknown for a long time and thus depressing the price.

14. I heard the mint is going to release a special SF set right at the end of the year with the extra reverse proof ASEs from the 75th anniversary set surrounded by all the S minted ATB quarters released this year.
    J/K :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil: TC

15. Clint

Clint Member

I envisioned an ice cream sandwich, with ATB pucks on top and bottom, RPs shining and peeking out all around the inside like melting ice cream.

16. A puckwich. :smile :D TC

17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The reverse proof is the coin everybody wants in the first place. The regular "S" proof was no big deal, and not viewed by most to be unique, so this isn't a major shock. The coins in the anniversary sets that appreciate are the reverse proofs, anyway.

18. statequarterguy

I know numismatic concerns are low on the list for our representatives in congress, but it never hurts to complain. Having worked for a federal agency, I know how it works. They pretty much drift along, blinded by their own incompetent management because there’s no competition, until they get a congressional inquiry. Then they poop their pants, stumbling all over themselves, making the inquiry a priority, fearing they had better solve the problem or congress will cut their funding. Email a complaint to your congressional representatives, the more complaints, the better the chance they’ll send an inquiry to the mint and for something like numismatics, it’s going to take a load of complaints.

19. statequarterguy

Not 100% accurate. Although the PR is the “new” “Beany Baby” from the mint, a unique (S) mint mark for a particular coin may create a rarity that will be difficult to acquire for those who want a complete set. Just look at all past issues from the mint – mint marks matter a lot and create rarities. The S mint ASE was going to be equally as rare as the RP, now it may only be another ASE.

20. statequarterguy

Another thing we should do is go back through the articles about this set in Coin World. Although the mint’s ad does not say the coins are exclusive to the set, CW may have quoted a mint official who said or implied the coins are exclusive to the set. I’ll scan the articles when I get time, but anyone who has the time, please do. Has anyone checked yet?

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah ya' got that right, who cares about that proof with the S mint. That's not what I bought the set for anyways. Now if the Mint used the reverse proof then that would be something to yell about. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.