Any idea what this square is on ten dollar gold coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tinpot, Apr 12, 2014.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When you access that link, click on the magnifying glass bottom right corner. Then when that picture opens, click on the magnifying glass in its bottom right corner. If ya do that, it's pretty easy to see.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Slider

Slider Member

It definitely looks possible that the stamp is under the D, but I don't think there is definitive evidence from the photo alone. You make a good point - I just think it's hard to tell without having it in hand with good magnification. Or maybe my eyes are worse than I think.

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I did...I thought it looked like the lower point on the D was displaced downward, but I'm not 100% sure. You might be right, the photo just doesn't convince me. I see other things on this coin that concern me authenticity though. So, I suppose anything is possible.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't dispute for a second that the serif on the D is missing. But by looking at the picture it is also indisputable that the corner of the square is missing. And that all by itself means that the square could not possibly be a counterstamp, for if it was the corner would be there. And that means that the square had to be there when the coin was made.

That's the entire point.

Tinpot likes this.
  6. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

A poster on another forum believes this is a 21 karat fake from the middle east (which would not be so bad if true, since I paid little premium for the coin). I actually sold the coin but am taking a return on it, once I get it back I'll have to have it tested and see if that is correct.

Thanks to all for the info on the questionable authenticity of this coin.

7. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Glad to help. These coins are usually of the proper karat, or pretty close. So if you paid close to melt for it... Hopefully it won't sting too bad.

Tinpot likes this.
  8. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

How do your edit your posts? I never had trouble with this before, but I no longer see the option to edit them? I want too pull the pics because its the private info of the guy I sold the coins to me, not mine. (his pictures)

Draft saved Draft deleted