Andrew Jackson "Hero of New Orleans" Token Questions

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by soup timer, Jan 22, 2005.

1. soup timer

soup timer New Member

I have an Andrew Jackson token that was found in my Uncles house last year after he passed away. The token was found covered in dust in the attic of a home built in 1820. It appears to be in very good condition and has never been cleaned. I think it's copper and about the size of a U.S. Quarter.

The face says : GENL. ANDREW JACKSON
    The reverse says : HERO OF NEW ORLEANS

Enclosed are 2 attachments . The token is in much better shape than the photos show. There is no corrosion and some of the original copper can even be seen on the face. Sorry but thats the best my camera can do. Any opinions on the age, history or value would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that is a commemorative medal.

Worth several dollars, for sure.

4. soup timer

soup timer New Member

jackson

Can anyone suggest a site where I can get some information about this token? Thanks.

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome aboard soup timer.

Your medal seems to match this description:
    That's from the Battle of New Orleans page of the Historic New Orleans Collection website. (They say they have another one without the hole. :D )

6. soup timer

soup timer New Member

Thank you very much. I will try and contact the link you listed.

I'm very much interested in the history of this item and wondering how it ended up in the attic of a house built around 1820 in Greene County New York.

7. soup timer

soup timer New Member

token

It appears I may have something here. I contacted the New Orleans museum that one of the moderators suggested. I sent them the pictures also. They want my phone # and address to have a curator contact me. They appear to be very interested in this item.

Thanks for the help. I'll post what I find out if anyone is interested in the history of this token.

Draft saved Draft deleted