Ancients: Specialties within specialities

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Beautiful Martin. Absolutely beautiful.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yup, I agree with Mr Harper => Martin, they're gorgeous!!

Ummm, but I didn't notice the illusive Dog-lizard in your grouping?

;)

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Doug, in response to the original posting - I'm barely an ancient collector, but I find the more I learn about a particular series the more important these subspecialties become to me. I imagine it's like a rabbit hole and I just haven't gone deep enough yet.

Great coins everyone, thanks for sharing!

vlaha and Ripley like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All are wonderful but it is sad that the unique one is also the one I like best.

Symbol variety – RRC 19. Babelon 100. BMCRR 19. - hunter's net / 2 spears is listed in Banti as 'elmetto' (helmet) which is obviously wrong. I do not know enough about hunter's nets to say what it is but it is not a helmet.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You have found me out. The reason for this post is not to get you interested in my Domnas or Martin's Republicans but to make sure all here are aware that there is life in this hobby after you get over the phase of filling the holes in your 'one per' collection or after you discover that everything you 'need' is out of your price range. There are a million types of ancient coins and several million ways of collecting them. Even if you did the impossible and got one of every type or even one of every die, there still would be avenues to explore. Many, most, nearly all people who own ancient coins never get to the point that they will want to own 246 variations on the Papia coin or even a set of six slightly different Tribute Pennies but those few of you that decide you are one who might are asked to remember this thread and share with us what you have discovered to be worth the study.

PS, Martin and I already compete too much on our Severans so I really should not try to take his Papia. After all there are a few thousand new specialties out there that none of us have yet considered.

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

As an illustration of how these things can get slightly out of control....I have others, each with their own story.....

Symbol variety – RRC 52. Babelon 96. BMCRR 52. CNR: 1/042. goblet/winsekin

Symbols listed as goblet/wine-skin by Sydenham. coppa/calzatura (cup/shoe) by CNR so there is debate as to what the symbols are.....

[​IMG]

Symbol variety – RRC 11. Babelon -. BMCRR 11. tall cup / jug

This symbol pair is one of only two known to be produced from more than a single die pair with two die pairs known for this symbol pair.Once I found this out I had to try and track one down.

[​IMG]

Symbol variety – RRC 204. Babelon -. BMCRR . Compass / Drill

An uneven strike with an off-centre reverse spoils what would otherwise have been a very pleasing coin. There isn't much wear to the coin at all. I would love to track one down in EF from fresh dies without problems but I will never be able to afford it..... I bought this as a great illustration of an uneven, of-centre strike.

[​IMG]

Martin

8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Papiuso.jpg
    Papiusr.jpg
    Sear 311. Crawford 384. Here is one with control mark Crawford 120, plate LXVII, which he illustrates but does not name. It almost looks like a cleaver/spear , but those words do not perfectly describe those images. What do you think they are?

9. maridvnvm

I have seen them described as square pennant / spear

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Banti calls both termine per corse. Sporting Equipment?

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It still amazes me how some of you can spot & learn that stuff. If I really focused I am sure I can too but that desire to isnt there.

Beautiful republics too.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Huh? => still no Dog-Lizard, eh?

Keep tryin', Martin ...

=> just stopped in for a sec ... now I've gotta go run the putting contest at the ladies Open (good times, my friends ... livin' large!!)

Cheers!!

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, I'm back from my day of helpin' out at the Ladies Open ... 9.5 hours of sipping booze, snappin' photos and running the putting competition ... best day 'ever'!!

=> the wife thinks that I totally rocked the show (best feeling, ever!!)

:D

Jwt708 likes this.
  14. maridvnvm

Still no dog lizard. Here is my newest Papius with a modius on both sides.

Reference(s) – RSC Papia 1. RRC 384/1. RCTV 311.
    Symbol variety – RRC 75. Babelon 8. BMCRR 75. CNR: 1/009.

[​IMG]

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

A Modius, eh? => an ancient Roman unit of grain measure equivalent to 0.96 peck

... yah, I had to look it up!!

Awesome as always, Martin!!

Curious ... how many Papius gryphons does that make? (congrats!!)

16. maridvnvm

That wagon is now a distant memory.....

ANOTHER PAPIUS to the hoard

L Papius Denarius Serratus, Papia 1, Sym. var. RRC 069
    Obv:– Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat skin tied under chin. Behind head, shepherd's crook.
    Rev:– Gryphon running right; in ex., L. PAPI.; in field, mask of Pan
    Minted in Rome from . B.C. 79.
    Reference:– RSC Papia 1. RRC 384/1. RCTV 311.
    Symbol variety – RRC 69. Babelon 2. BMCRR 69. CNR: unknown.

Trade guild: farmers and shepherds

[​IMG]

17. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

The mask of Pan kind of looks like a Predator. Cool coin.

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Can you even remember the wagon? That is one beautiful coin Martin. Wonderful mask as well.

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Martin, congrats on another Super-Über-Cool Papius Gryphon!! (you rule!!)

Ummm? ... but still no Dog & Snake, my awesome Griffin-friend?

:panda:

20. maridvnvm

Steve,
    Still no dog and snake but the hoard continues to grow.

L Papius Denarius Serratus, Papia 1, Sym. var. RRC 092 Obv:– Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat skin tied under chin. Behind head, crossbow bolt.
    Rev:– Gryphon running right; in ex., L. PAPI.; in field, front view of crossbow
    Minted in Rome from . B.C. 79.
    Reference:– RSC Papia 1. RRC 384/1. RCTV 311.
    Symbol variety – RRC 92. Babelon 75. BMCRR 92. CNR: unknown.

Some obverse corrosion

[​IMG]

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... nice => very cool

Draft saved Draft deleted