Ancients: Specialties within specialities

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is the crab claw hand type matching Steve's.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Of the three vcoins specimens you showed I believe you have the middle one.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Papia matter gets more interesting the more I look. Wildwinds has a great list:
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/rsc/papia/i.html
    Their type 122 is listed as snake/dog but if you click on text for that coin you will see that CNG sold the example under the name lizard which I consider a better answer. The two symbols on one coin are suppose to relate in some way but the relarion is not always obvious to us. One I like is a rectangle with letters on it (P for one) and an urn of some type. The rectangle is a ballot and the urn is a ballot box. The P on the ballot shows it was filled out to vote for Papius. I'd like to see a really clear one to see how much more is on that ballot. The Wildwind listing says PAPI but I don't see it on their photo.

stevex6 likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Doug => that's a good/useful link ... #122 shows an example of my coin

=> yup, the good ol' infamous 'Snake & Dog-lizard' variety ... as you all know, Dog-lizards are now quite rare, so obviously this coin's value has risen significantly!!

;)

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Man, there are quite a few total winners ...

=> I really like #14 (bucranium & double-axe)

7. tribute obverse.JPG
    tribute reverse.JPG

I just purchased my latest Tribute Penny based on the style of legs. The other 4 I own are all straight leg. Typically I do not collect variations of a certain series, but I've always wanted a Tribute with the decorative legs.

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice ... you're correct

Martin => that is an excellent link!! (thanks for that)

10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I am waiting for a camp-gate collector to admit he cares about the difference between a gate with 6 layers of stones and a gate with 7 layers of stones. Or, maybe they don't consider that a specialty within a specialty?

Bing likes this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't care much about the number of layers of stone, but I do want one with doors.

12. Now i'm going to go home w/ a magnifying glass and count the stones on my camp gates. I didn't know they varied in this way.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Is it me or have we heard less about campgates lately? A few years ago there were several name collectors with a lot of varieties but I recall a couple of the collections appearing for sale. I suspect campgates by layers is less fashionable now than it was so it might be possible to get some without the crazy prices. I do agree with Bing that doors are nice.
    rx6258bb3038.jpg

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I always found campgates no different then Genius reverse...boring. But I do like the ones with open doors. I only have 1 campgate but its nothing special. One day I will get a open door one but not a priority.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

constantine I rocks a.jpg constantine I rocks b.jpg constantine II rocks a.jpg constantine II rocks b.jpg constantius II rocks a.jpg constantius II rocks b.jpg

Sorry, but I couldn't resist tossin' out a few of my campgates with doors on 'em ...

Constantine I
    Constantine II
    Constantius II

:)

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Another lil' mini-specialty within' a specialty is C. Piso L.F. Frugi

I only have one variety so far, but apparently there are several different varieties of these awesome coins:

c piso lf frugi a.jpg c piso lf frugi b.jpg

I have the variety with the rider crackin' a whip!! (plus there are a variety of symbols involved on the obverse and reverse) ... I'm sure there is a dude out there that'll know a whole lot more than I know about this super-cool series (please chime-in)

17. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I am still wayyyy too newbie to have any sort of speciality. I mean sure I focus on Alexandrian tetradrachms when I am buying coins but that is just due to limited funds.

18. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Yay a companion in zorro-nes:D.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Alexandria is a dangerous specialty for those of us on a budget. There are some really special Alexandria coins. Certainly the later tetradrachms are still reasonable but any of the bronzes and the earlier tets are getting difficult.

stevex6 and Ardatirion like this.
  20. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

My only subspecialty i study at the moment is my crazy little sogdian cross collection. They are the only ones i study die differences actively.

21. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Here are a few of my Papius....

Symbol variety – RRC -. Babelon -. BMCRR -. Dolphin wrapped around anchor / Hippocamp
    The only known example.

[​IMG]

Symbol variety – RRC 19. Babelon 100. BMCRR 19. - hunter's net / 2 spears

[​IMG]

Symbol variety – RRC 150. Babelon 149. BMCRR -. Harpa / Winged Petasos

[​IMG]

Symbol variety – RRC 76. Babelon 76. BMCRR 12. Owl / Crow/eagle with opened wings

[​IMG]

Symbol variety – RRC -. Babelon -. BMCRR -. Shoe / Sandal. Another unpublished symbol pair with five examples currently known. This is likely the best of the five examples. (according to Richard Schaefer at the BM)

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted