[ancients] Pronunciation help-- post your requests here

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Apr 8, 2014.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Surely Sean Connery over Roger Moore, or at least Sheptimiush Sheverush :D

TIF and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, how 'bout James Earle Jones (Darth Vadar)

dark-side-of-the-moon 4.jpg

zumbly likes this.
  4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

As a non-English European i probably experience less problems with pronunciation of most of these than the average U.S citizen. (Having secondary education in a school still run by Jezuits also helps).
    One thing i notice in the list: Ptolomy already is an English translation, so no use to pronounce it classically correct. Ptolemaios (from the Greek) would be preferable ?

Alegandron likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You're right, of course I meant Sean Connery. :oops: He and several members of Monty Python's Flying Circus have been saying "Sheptimiush Sheverush" in my head for the last 24 hours, thanks to your Sept. Sev. Birthday post. :D
    Good point, one that applies to many ancient words and names (at least from an English-speaker's standpoint). In addition to hearing the "correct" pronunciations, I'm very interested in hearing the most commonly used (mis)pronunciations.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Same here, except for the Jesuit education. :) But even here (I am in DE) we need to keep in mind that today's pronunciations of, say, "classic" Roman names may well differ from the use back then. Think of tsitsero vs kikero ...

Christian

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted