Ancients => okay fine, I bought one of those dragon-esque coins (hey, don't judge me, Wagoneers)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Apr 10, 2014.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, wagons are extremely precarious and incredibly unpredictable vehicles ...

... I mean seriously ...

=> those wagon-surfaces are all uneven and then you add-in the fact that the wagon itself is travelling down a fairly uneven surface, right ... oh-oh-oh, and the wagon is sometimes travelling way too fast, so it's kinda like it's the wagon's fault if a person was to accidentally "slip" off of the side ................. right?

The Duke of Milan, Bernabo and Galeazzo II Visconti, AR Grosso or Pegione
    1355-1378 AD
    Diameter: 25 mm
    Weight: 2.50 grams
    Obverse: Serpent with maiden in its mouth (ummm, kinda dragon-esque ... yes?) between B G; above (an eagle) a aquiletta R/S
    Reverse: Ambrose on the throne

Duchy Dragon a.jpg Duchy Dragon b.jpg

yah ...... I knew when I first saw one of these "serpent-with-maiden-in-mouth" coins that I was dead in the water (sometimes the wagon seems like it has a super icy surface ... have you guys ever noticed that?)

Cheers brothers

=> oh, and please post any coins with "serpents & snakes" ....

Oh, and because I love pile-on threads => let's add-in coins "that made you fall-off of the wagon"

I love you guys (cheers)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Like I said before. You just can't help yerself, can ya?

Nice coin little brother.

stevex6 likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I was wondering how long before you got your self one of these,very nice my friend very nice indeed, even has an Eagle WOW..after i saw Chris with one i had to get one too!!
    DSC04893_opt.jpg
    DSC04894_opt.jpg

6. Bing

You guys are killing me. I WILL NOT stray from my current collection of Greek and Roman coins. I WILL NOT, I tell you!!!!!!! (Please?)

stevex6 likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Heh, too late. You're a goner.

In the words of JA,

RaceBannon, Bing and stevex6 like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Wow, Eng ... welcome aboard, my "Serpent-eatin'-maiden" brother!!

=> absolutely fantastic coin (both of our coins have aspects that should appear on one super-coin!!) ... apparently, both of our coins "ROCK"!!

=> awesome ... that's an extremely cool addition to this thread (thanks for posting)

chrsmat71 => hey dawg, I'm hoping that you stumble across this thread and post your primo-example as well (cheers bro)

Hey, West Coast => it was plus 10 celsius (50F?) here for a bit yesterday and "raining" => our first rain since October (I bet that you guys can't claim that fact, eh?)

Please see "hello" to the ocean from me ... thanks brother

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, I kinda think that this "era/century" seemed pretty fricken cool ... it seemed like there was a whole lotta "Knights & Dragons" and that sort of thing

=> pretty fricken cool, yes? (real-time Knights & thoughts of dragons)

I kinda think that these two coins from the 1300's kinda emphasize the whole feelin' ...

Lorraine Duche de Lorraine Thiebaut II a.jpg Duchy Dragon a.jpg

=> hey Bing ... I'm not sure if these examples are quite enough to make you branch-out, but dawg, you must admit that this era has some pretty cool stuff, eh? (man, "coins rock!!")

Peter T Davis, Eng, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bing

Okay, I admit it. But I'm still on a budget so for now it's still Romans and some Greeks. Maybe later, eh?

stevex6 likes this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I had a feeling you were going to bite on one of those when I posted it. Great coin!

stevex6 likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

"I had a feeling you were going to bite on one of those when I posted it. Great coin!"

... *sigh*

13. John Anthony

I mean what's more Steve than a dragon eating a maiden? An absolute must-have.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    TIF and stevex6 like this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> thank you for your awesome coin-suggestion, Wagon-slayer ...

;)

15. John Anthony

I show the wagon no mercy.

wagon1.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  16. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Love that coin Steve....ahhhh yes the jousting!

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

huh ... sadly, I wasn't able to upload your potentially cool video-clip (but thanks for the effort, coin brother)

18. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

That knight on the coin you posted, charging forward with lance in hand just reminded me of a knight in a jousting tournament. They still do it nowadays believe it or not. The video highlights some of the rules and regulations to modern day jousting, which I believe is directly descended from the medieval version. Pretty cool.

Try this link and see if it works for ya. I also think the narrator is from the great white north judging from his accent.

Eng likes this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks anyway ... I can't seem to watch your cool vid (maybe I'll try re-booting)

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

curious? => can everybody else access this video?

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I love those Milan coins, that's a very nice one stevex! these are all a bit different, lots of interesting variation....anyone know what the different letters in the left and right reverse fields mean??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted