[ancients] Happy Birthday, Septimius Severus!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Apr 11, 2014.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice coins, guys ...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omar Niemat

Omar Niemat New Member

How Much is this coin worth?

4. Omar Niemat

Omar Niemat New Member

How Much is this coin worth?

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have one similar. It cost me under $50 shipped.
    Septimius Severus 7.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: FVNDATOR PACIS, Septimius, togate and veiled, standing left holding olive branch
    Struck at Rome, 202-210 AD
    3.3g, 18mm,
    RIC 265, RSC 205, BMC 330

TJC, zumbly, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

We'll, I'm glad this thread was revived because I missed it the first time! Really enjoyed the 10 "facts"!

zumbly, Orfew, Curtisimo and 2 others like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interesting Septimius Severus facts in the OP, indeed. Here's my favorite--a big ol' bronze provincial from Anchialus. Love that obverse portrait and love that Kybele reverse!

Severus Anchialos.jpg

TJC, zumbly, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, nice revival! I enjoyed the fact sheet all over again :D

Also, in the intervening years there was an ownership change of a coin shown on page one. This is now mine :)

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus
    Rome, CE 206
    AR denarius, 3.41 gm, 20 mm, 12h
    Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: LAETITIA TEMPORVM, the spina of the Circus Maximus decorated as a ship facing left, with the turning posts at its prow and stern, a sail mounted on the central obelisk, and the spina's other monuments visible in between; above the ship, four quadrigas racing left; below, seven animals: an ostrich at left and a bear at right; between them a lion and a lioness chasing a wild ass and a panther attacking a bison
    Ref: RIC 274; BMC 343.
    ex Colosseo Collection

TJC, zumbly, Orfew and 6 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I missed it,too, and have no idea how.
    Maybe I decided I could not limit myself to 5 (or 50)? I am offended by being compared to an average museum. Average museums would be lucky to have 50 (or 5?) coins of all sorts let alone five of Septimius. My collection is nothing compared to Martin's but I have a few. Here are five. They are not my favorites but they are not coins you will see every day. If condition means a lot to you, feel free to post better examples. All are Alexandria mint.

LEG III IT AVG - Reverse ends in AVG - Common ones end AVI.
    rf0190bb1797.jpg
    The late Roger Bickford-Smith once told me that this is the one of my coins he would most like but he would hope for a slightly better one. I have not seen another from Alexandria with this reverse but they are common from Emesa.
    rf0230bb0893.jpg
    Most of these end with COS II but this one is just COS.
    rf0450b00148lg.jpg
    Venus is more common for Domna but this is probably my favorite Alexandria mint Septimius denarius.
    rf0540bb1560.jpg
    This tetradrachm is the earliest I have at year two. Septimius did not take over in Alexandria until after the end of year one in August 193 so there are no LA coins. This is the most common coin shown here.
    pa1050fd3421.jpg

If this thread is revived again in another four years, maybe Martin and I will show five more. I know the tolerance for Septimius is not high so five is plenty.

TJC, zumbly, lrbguy and 8 others like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

The man, the myth, the beard. I've always loved his coins and wish I had anything better to show you all but here's Septy!
    CollageMaker Plus_20184615452693.png
    Sheptimiush Sheverush
    AR Denarius, Felicitas
    reverse
    Septimius Severus (193-211
    AD). AR Denarius Rome, c.
    202-210.
    Obv. SEVERVS PIVS AVG,
    Laureate head right. Rev.
    FELICITAS AVGG, Felicitas
    standing left, holding
    caduceus and cornucopiae.
    RIC 26.p

zumbly, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  11. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I would prefer this unique Medallion, for the sword in his hand and the unbeatable portrait style :)
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1485400

1485400-2.jpg

TJC, zumbly, Ryro and 1 other person like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing.jpg
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing

Ryro and Johndakerftw like this.
  13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I don't actively chase after Rome mint coins of Septimius Severus but do dabble with them when I find them more interesting than normal.

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP-T SEV PERT AVG. Laureate head right
    Rev:– SAEC FRVGIF COS, Saeculum Frugiferum., radiate, standing left, holding winged caduceus and trident
    Minted in Rome. A.D. 193
    Reference:– BMCRE -. RIC IV 19 (Rated Rare); RSC 622.

About 8 examples from 2 reverse dies known to Curtis Clay. This example from a different reverse die to the British Museum example.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that I haven't shared this one here:-

Obv:–IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, Laureate head right
    Rev:– BONI EVENTVS, Fides standing right holding basket of fruit and corn ears
    Minted in Alexandria. A.D. 194
    Ref:– BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -. (Not listed with Fides right)

2.72g. 17.10mm. 0o

Additional information from Curtis Clay “Not previously known for Septimius Severus but a reverse die match with a Julia Domna in Vienna”

[​IMG]

These two come as a pair. As far as I am aware there are only three coins known with this unusual obverse legend variation.

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II COS, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FORTVNAE REDVCI II COS, Fortuna standing left holding rudder and cornucopia
    Minted in Emesa, 194 - 195 A.D.
    References:– RIC -. RSC -. BMC -.
    (Same die pair as example in Curtis Clay collection which is ex-Kelly)

[​IMG]

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II COS, Laureate head right
    Rev:– BONAE SPEI II COS, Spes standing holding flower and lifting skirt
    Minted in Emesa, 194 - 195 A.D.
    References:– RIC -. RSC -. BMC -.
    2.53g, 20.31mm, 0o
    (only known example)

[​IMG]

My fifth coin has been a difficult on to choose as I am trying to limit my selection to coins I have not shared or at least over-shared.

This one had to be another Alexandrian. My search for a Trophy type Alexandrian continues but my Minerva search was achieved in 2015 after a number of years of searching.

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, laureate head right
    Rev:– P M TR P III COS II P P, Minerva, standing left, holding spear and shield
    Minted in Alexandria. A.D. 194
    Reference:– RIC IV 350E; RSC 391a. Bickford-Smith S. 56
    1.93 gms. 180 degrees

[​IMG]

Martin

TJC, zumbly, Orfew and 4 others like this.
  14. maridvnvm

To add to the wonderful post by Doug above. I have a small collection of that Mars type from Alexandria. I don't think that many people out there care too much about these but I pick them up if I see them.

ending COS II as mentioned by Doug
    [​IMG]
    ending COS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Indeterminate until I can find a die match...
    [​IMG]

zumbly, Orfew, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  15. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

My goodness, when I see the kind of material Doug and Martin put up for this in comparison to my collection, I am reminded of some graffiti I read on a bathroom wall:
    Here I sit
    all brokenhearted
    came to (think)
    and only farted.

16. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Lucius ! Thanks, but no thanks, for some birthday cake - I've just had my lunch !!!

17. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

He seems to be a friendly guy, at least on coins:
    Obverse: [L SEPT] SEV PERT AVG IMP X Septimius Severus, laureate, right
    Reverse: SALVTI AVGG Salus, draped, seated left, feeding out of patera in extended right-hand a snake coiled round altar
    Diameter 15 x 16 mm
    Weight 3.28 g
    Mint and Date: Rome 197 - 198 AD struck under the authority of Septimius Severus and co-ruler Caracalla
    Reference: RIC IV Septimius Severus 119A; RCV does not list this type but the variant IMP XI under RCV 6363. Main catalogs do not seem to agree on the mint but this coin could have been struck in Rome

IMG_1628-5227a.JPG IMG_1650-527b.JPG

Ryro, Ajax, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  18. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

I recently bought a septimus severus coin from sphinx but like to know its authentic? I appreciate everyone' Td5jnMW6r7bLKt43T8zSjH2c4WFi9Z.jpg s opinion

maridvnvm, Bing and Alegandron like this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since Martin gave a match to mine I'll offer the sestertius version of his Saeculum Frugiferum. Like Martin, I collect few Rome mint coins but I make a major exception and try to get all the 193 AD issues that I can.
    rj4775fd2901.jpg

Martin pointed out the rare and desirable coins of Emesa with II COS on the reverse. However my very favorite one with IICOS on the reverse does not have Septimius but has Julia Domna. A woman with II COS? That is a mite hard to explain. Double striking makes it a bit harder to read. BONI EVENTVS II COS
    rk5150b02440lg.jpg

Ryro, zumbly, maridvnvm and 3 others like this.
  20. maridvnvm

That Domna is certainly special.

I have a few II COS reverses and acquire any that I can when others with much deeper pockets than me don't drive me off them.

Curtis is aware of two reverse dies for the BONI EVENTVS variant. There are apparently 5 known examples under Septimius Severus and another like your which was produced for Domna which is in Vienna. All the Severus examples come from the A.D. 193 issue.

The Vienna example is unfortunately not illustrated in the digitisation of their collection which would allow a die comparison.

I have one of the known Severus coins from a different (the other) reverse die.

[​IMG]

The BM has one too which comes from the same reverse die as yours.

AN1612993661_l.jpg

Barry has had two examples (one from each reverse die).

10569.jpg 11346.jpg

The last remaining Severus example known to me belonged to Roger Bickford-Smith, which was ex P.V. Hill Coll. I am unable to illustrate this example however.

Johndakerftw, Bing, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  21. maridvnvm

There are other Domna coins known with II COS reverses but not many.

MONETAE AVG II COS (3 examples known - Vienna, Paris and mine below)

[​IMG]

There are 3 reverse dies of the MONETAE variety for Septimius.

MONETE AV[G II CO]S (British Museum). Same obverse die as my example above but a different obverse die to the coin illustrated by Doug. I would love to see the Paris and Vienna coins to allow die comparison.

AN1612993872_l.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing, Ryro and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted