[ancients] Eion lizard & goose

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Apr 21, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sadly, I know nothing about the reasons behind the imagery. I bought the coin simply because I like the type and want some coins with lizards. I failed in my bidding attempts on a few other examples prior to this coin. It's not the greatest example but it's not too bad and the price was okay.

Post your lizards here! :)

MACEDON-Eion-trihemiobol.jpg
    MACEDON, Eion
    460-400 BC

AR trihemiobol, 12 mm, 0.74 gm
    Obv: Goose standing right, head reverted; lizard above; dotted border
    Rev: quadripartite incuse square
    Ref: SNG ANS 287

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sweet pickup, never seen one of these, ever.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Today I learned that Eion is a strategic place/colony in Thracian Macedonia. Thanks much for posting the coin TIF.

Sadly, I have no lizards, no geese, and no coins from Eion to contribute to your thread.

TIF likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, that's gorgeous!! ... that's a super-sweet new pick-up, my coin-P ...

Ummm, but sorry to shatter your coin-ness ... oh, and I know that you know that I have one of these sweeties ... so here is my cool example ...

goose lizard.jpg

Gil-galad, Ripley, Bing and 3 others like this.
  6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

TIF, you are a Steve stalker, very cool coin, i don't remember seeing one like that, both of yours awesome..:pompous:

TIF likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like your new "lizard" TIF. I've been eyeing several like this, but alas, the prices go beyond my budget every time.

Thrace Cherronesos 1.jpg
    THRACE AR Hemidrachm
    OBVERSE: Forepart of lion right, head turned back
    REVERSE: Quadripartite incuse square, dot VE monogram & lizard
    Struck at Cherronesos 400-350 BC
    2.40g, 13mm
    SNGCop 830

Gil-galad, Ripley, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great lizards.....I'd love to know why the goose and lizard combo was used.

I'm lizardless. :(

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very neat, TIF. It also looks like you've got Vespasian in the incuse square. Bonus cool points!

stevex6 likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

g00660bb0511.jpg g00670bb0435.jpg
    All I know is that there are earlier, thicker ones with no lizard and later, thinner ones with.

Gil-galad, TIF, Ripley and 1 other person like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

HA! You're right!! That is definitely a Flavian.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

TIF ... I returned to take another peek at your new addition ...

=> I really like the crystalization-look of your new goose-n-lizard (I have a few coins with that cool kinda look and they're all amongst my favourites)

... but be quite careful with it, for I did have one of these types get damaged during transport (the coin chipped along one of the planes-of-weakness)

TIF likes this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice pick-up TIF. It's a wonderful, whimsical design.

TIF likes this.
  14. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

I have seen numerous goose-lizard coins o Vcoins.com...most decent ones I'm interested in are between $200-250? Reasonable or not?

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Really => wow, I certainly bought my example for under 200!! (but I'm known for being very thrifty)

16. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

You have a very fine example Steve...I'm surprised u paid under 200...may I ask where from?

17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Those are really cool!

TIF likes this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[shrug] Well, Vcoins stores and other fixed-price sites usually cost a little more because of monthly expenses associated with selling those coins. If you want to buy a coin now, without going through the hassle of waiting for the right coin at auction, it may be reasonable. Vcoins is a reputable place to buy ancient coins and many of us here have been pleased with our purchases from various Vcoins dealers.

The best way for you to decide whether a price is "good" is to check recent selling prices. Here are some sites for that:

CNG's archives
    acsearch
    ... and eBay may be useful

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> for the record, I am "not" actually known for being thrifty (it was a wee bit of sarcasm) .... but in this particular case, I did spend less than $200 (I'm pretty sure that I bought that lil' baby from Zeus Gallery in a bulk coin-buy)

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thank you for clearing that up, Steve, and saving me from having to point out that I consider you a spendthrift. :pompous: I bought mine from CNG which generally means paying top dollar but only paid $90. In addition to being known as a cheapskate, I am also known for being old --- I paid that $90 in 1990. If you search acsearch you will find decent examples for under $100 and a few that sold over $200 just proving what I always say here:
    You can have two, and only two, from the list:
    What you want
    When you want it (now)
    How much you want to spend

For under $100 you might find a lower grade coin right now but it could take luck and patience to find exactly what you want for a low price. These are not rare coins. How important is it to you to find one now? Coin prices go up and down. There were times since I started that prices were as high as today and times prices were lower. Will my coin be worth $90 next year. Don't know.

stevex6 likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahahah => Doug, man I like you (you're such a Doug!!) ...

=> but I'm not sure that your $90 x 1990 investment is any thriftier than my $150 investment (25 years later) ...

Oh boy => I can't wait for your big wordy response ...

Who cares anyway (tonight I won 4 games of beer-pong ... have you ever played it ... look it up)

I like you coin-fellas

Cheers

Draft saved Draft deleted