Ancients => AU + AR +AE => what are your splits?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Apr 18, 2014.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, I hope that all of you are having a wonderful Good Friday (Great Friday!!)

I'm not too sure if you dudes are nearly as anal as I am, but I have my coins listed in several different manners:

a) by date
    b) by Deity/God
    c) by reverse design
    d) by Greek vs Roman vs RR vs Byz
    e) denomination (denarii, drachm, obol, antoninianus, etc)

=> oh, and I also have them categorized by "metal-type"

So, I did a quick tally and discovered that I have the following splits:

AU (gold) => 1 coin

AR (silver) => 106 coins

AE (Bronze, Billon, Potin, Cu, Silvered-Follis, etc) => 151 coins

So, I was merely curious if people have similar splits, or if you guys concentrate more on one metal-type (denomination, etc)

=> yah, this is merely a quasi-survey to determine what you dudes collect ...

Happy Easter, coin-brothers ...

Cheers

Lesbos Mytilene.jpg Calabria Tarentum.jpg Antoninus Pius Croc.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I just have my coins sorted through by date they reigned and if I have multiples of an emperor or empress then they get sorted by lowest denomination or year it was struck.

stevex6 likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

So, you don't aim at AR over AE? (or prefer AR over AE, or vice versa?) ... just curious

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

For my collection:

0 Gold
    241 Silver
    369 base metal

stevex6 likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

;)

Thanks, anal-Bing!! (I'm glad to see that at least one other dude out there is organizing and sorting their goodies!!)

Cheers, bro

7. Bing

I have been described as OCD (anal in layman terms). I have my catalog broken into: Coin Issuer; Dates; References; Mint; Coin Type; Metal; Weight; Dimensions; Obverse; Reverse; Diety; Images; Date purchased; Seller ID; Special Notes; Price paid; Catalog Location. It is in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet so that I can query for any of the above. Now tell me that's not anal! Oh, almost forgot. I have it saved in no less than 4 locations (just in case ya know?)

vlaha likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I prefer silver, of course, but really its what I like and what keeps my wallet happier!

stevex6 likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Bing => you rock!! (I also categorize my coins by seller and total-price)

Mat => thanks for responding ... yah, I like nice crisp silver coins, but those nice big, heavy bronze babies are often my favs!! (well actually ... they're "all" pretty cool)

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I haven't reached a high enough state of organization to even begin to answer your question, SteveO! Someday... someday.

stevex6 likes this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> *phew* (dodged a bullet) ... man, I was getting worried about calling you *edited by stevex6*!!

... anyway ...

Hey, I sure hope that you're having a great Good Friday!! (I like you)

:panda:

TIF likes this.
  12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

For ancients? Ie, excluding sundry little modern collections.

0 AV
    2 AR
    16 AE
    181 PB

Do you think I'm specialized enough? Lol! Currently my ancient collection is divided among Roman, Greek, and Tesserae. This doesn't count the (primarily bronze) imitations that I'm planning on selling. The Roman are organized by emperor, while the Tesserae and Greek are organized geographically in the traditional manner. For the tesserae, the Roman civic subsection is organized by metal first (bronze or lead), then by ruler and anonymous, then alphabetically by obverse type. I really need to develop a better classification system. I should probably just lump the Greek and Roman into the "Other" section with my moderns.

chrsmat71, TIF and stevex6 like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Really? ..... you are the "King of Lead Coins"? ... man, that's very cool

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I'm reasonably sure it's the largest private collection. And while it's definitely not as large as the public collections of Europe, it is at least more broad.

Bing, TIF and stevex6 like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> congrats, my CNG Lead brother (you are definitely a cool coin-dude)

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Again, no firm numbers of what I own. I would guess somewhere around

12 AU
    350 AR
    2200 AE
    18 PB

Best guess at least. I imagine I am +-100 on the AR, and +-500 on the AE. Of course, this does not count Chinese Cash, (a whole other animal).

Edit: Just reread my post. I was not trying to brag, just making a guess. I have lots of AE because many of the cultures predominantly produced AE coins, as well as "I like group lots".......there I said it, "Hi I am Chris and I like large group lots of lots and lots of coins". :( I would say I am trying to get better, but that would be a lie. But, I bet cumulatively, all of my coins could be bought with the proceeds of one of AncientJoe's coins.

vlaha and stevex6 like this.
  17. Bing

Some day, when I grow up.......

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow, medoraman => that's 10 * times as many ancient coins as "this guy"!!

Thanks for posting ..... ummm, let me do some quik engineering math (aka, a thumb-suck with a safety-factor)

AU = 13 (0.4%)
    AR = 699 (19.2%)
    AE = 2736 (75.0%)
    Pb = 199 (5.5%) ..... skewed slightly by our super-arm-strong Lead-man, Ardatirion!!

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, so until further data is gathered from you groovy dudes, I would think that it's safe to say ...

25% AR and 75% AE

.... or get your numbers in so we can tweak/hone the ol' data!!

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have too many that are hard to classify. Where do I put that Severus Alexander Alexandria 4dr I bought last month at Baltimore. It looks AE but has some silver inside. When does Gallienus slide from AR ants to the AE ones. What about my gold over silver fourree?

AU 2
    AR 1298
    Fourree 113
    AE 1727
    NI 2
    PB 4

Also excluding Chinese cash, modern coins and trade stock (usually what I give to kids since no one trades and I prefer not to sell).

stevex6 likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

AU = 15 (0.2%)
    AR = 1997 (29.4%)
    AE = 4463 (65.7%)
    Pb = 203 (3.0%) ..... skewed slightly by Lead-man, Ardy
    (Fourree + NI) = 115 (1.7%) .... skewed slightly by Doug daFourree

.... okay, now I'd throw-out a 30/70 split ...

=> please keep the numbers rollin'

Draft saved Draft deleted