[ancients] Alexander taming Bucephalas! A fun find from TIF's Folly.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Nov 28, 2013.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm slowly going through the big mixed lot from Stacks. They are essentially unattributed, although some have a ruler's name. This one had nothing. I saw the reverse and was delighted!

It's a shame it was cleaned with a hammer drill but I'm still happy to have it because of the wonderful story it depicts. These coins do not appear to be plentiful.

I don't have the attribution nailed down so if any of you can help, it would be welcome.

KoinonMacedonBucephalusMed.jpg

Macedon Koinon
    3rd century AD (in the time of Severus Alexander? Gordian III? Caracalla? This type was minted during several reigns)
    AE27, 13.5 gm
    Obv: (in theory...) AΛEΞANΔPOC; head of Alexander right (flowing hair? lion skin?)
    Rev: KOINON MAKEΔONΩN [?]NEΩ Alexander standing right, naked except for chlamys which flies behind him, taming his horse Bucephalas who rears left before him
    Ref: ??

Check out this great story about Alexander III's famous horse, from CNG's archives:

I'd seen coins attributed to "Macedon Koinon" before but didn't understand what that meant. Here's what I read today (from Forvm):

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    Alegandron, zumbly, Bing and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The missing letter is B honoring the second neocourate temple (temple to the Imperial cult - a big deal in the day). There are many reverses of these semiautonomous coins and many are a bit fancy. Few are well made. Yours is not terrible. My top one is terrrrible but I keep it around because it honors victories (the baskets were trophies) in the games mentioned in the field: O/LYM//PIA. It is also a great example showing the edge of the obverse die and how much extra there was before the flan would wrap around the die.

gi2700bb1927.jpg gi2705bb2875.jpg

randygeki, stevex6, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for that info, Doug!

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

TIF => I don't know why you seem disappointed with that bunch o' winners?!!

=> Man, I'm absolutely lovin' your coin show!! (congrats on another cool coin!!)

Ummm, I have a couple of examples to add to your thread:

Koinon of Macedonia
    238-344 AD
    Diameter: 25.4 mm
    Weight: 12.6 grams
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Alexander the Great gazing upwards
    Reverse: Alexander on horseback

num twoa.jpg num twob.jpg

Koinon of Macedonia
    238-344 AD
    Diameter: 25.6 mm
    Weight: 10.9 grams
    Obverse: Diademed head of Alexander the Great
    Reverse: Athena, holding patera and spear, shield behind her

new b.jpg new bb.jpg

=> Doug ... this coin is similar to your 2nd coin

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    zumbly, chrsmat71, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes but you have the less common hair flowing in the breeze obverse. Yours also has a mintmark on both sides that needs to be investigated. I suspect these were issued by more than one city within the Koinon and that mark might be significant but I do not have a reference on that thought.

We might as well also point out that many of these coins have scratches from flan adjustment filing so the OP coin has some allowable scratches on the portrait as well as cleaning abrasions in the fields. It still is not a nice coin but would likely sell to a Bucephalus fan for more than the average per coin cost of the lot. I owned the last coin I posted here for quite a while before I decided to accession it into my collection despite its condition. I probably would not buy the OP coin if I found one similar but I know I would not be able to afford the type in a nice clean fine.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I thought you'd find some fun stuff in there.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Really like the reverse scene on this one. Grats!

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's what a similar coin looks like in high grade. It sold today in Roma's auction for ~$5815 US on an estimate of ~$970. I'd love to have a high grade example but not for that price!

[​IMG]

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well TIF, if you want to get rid of your to get another of higher grade, just toss it my way. :p

TIF likes this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

In between other duties I was watching some of these lots hammer live online too. I got a little impatient when bidding was stuck on this particular coin for a ridiculously long time. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why. It's only slightly nicer than yours. :D

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats a neat reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted