[ancients] A kinda scary monster from Kindya

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Apr 13, 2014.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Buh bye wagon! That didn't last long. Observing the recent Roma auction led to logging in to the Roma auction which led to much clicking. :D

I've admired the type and was delighted to nab this particular example.

KARIA-Kindya-tetrobol.jpg
    KARIA, Kindya
    510-480 BC

AR tetrobol, 2.18 gm, 11 mm, Samian standard
    Obv: head of ketos right
    Rev: geometric pattern within incuse square
    Ref: Kagan and Kritt, 'The Coinage of Kindya,' NC 1995, 1 var. (head left); SNG Keckman 920 var. (same); SNG Kayhan 815; "Asyut Hoard" 688
    ex Goldberg auction 69 lot 3156, 15 May 2012

There are a couple of possible myths which may be represented by this coin's ketos (sea monster). Because of geography, I suspect it depicts the Trojan sea monster. To summarize, Poseidon sent the monster to terrorize Troy as revenge for a breach of contract. Laomedon didn't pay him for his work building Troy's wall, instead saying it was volunteer work, that Poseidon did the work on his own accord. An oracle proclaimed that sacrificing an occasional maiden was required.

Unfortunately for Laomedon, one year the selected maiden was his daughter, Hesione. Herakles was in the neighborhood and struck a bargain: rescue of Hesione in exchange for a horse formerly owned by Zeus. Hesione was rescued and Laomedon reneged on the deal, which resulted in retaliatory slaying of Laomedon and his sons. (Gang wars, Greek style).

Here's some pottery depicting this rescue of Hesione:
    [​IMG]

Seeing the coin and this pottery convinced me that the Ketos was based on a killer whale. After all, there is a similar appearance and killer whales do snatch prey from shores, as seen in this gruesome video.

The man was not snatched by Orca. It was made from footage of killer whales feasting on seals. Somehow I find it harder to watch whales eating cute seals.

Anyhoo, searching revealed that killer whales are not found in the Greek seas so my theory is wrong. "False killer whales" (Pseudorca crassidens) are though, so that's my best guess.

[​IMG]

Kindya was in southwestern Anatolia (modern Turkey), southwest of Mylasa. The approximate location is marked with a yellow x below:

MapOfGreeceAndWesternTurkeyWithKindyaMarked.jpg
    The original and larger version of this map is here.

Post your Kindyas or sea monsters!
    (I know my favorite coinstalking victim has a Kindya ;))

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Curtisimo, DonnaML, Ryro and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Absolutely wonderful coin. Love that monster. I've never seen one like this. I guess the wagon just can't hold you and Steve, eh?

TIF likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Guess not :D
    But I really need to stop for the next few months because I want to attend a coin show and that means travel and hotel... plus coin money...

I tumbled further down the hill in last week's Heritage auction. Got a nice Nero sestertius with an unusually lovely reverse. Oh, and another mixed lot from CNG, this time all Alexandrian tetradrachms. I hope they arrive unattributed so that I can put Emmett's book to use!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow!! => great lookin' Sea Monster, coin-Princess

I also have an example, but my dude is facing left and sadly the top of his/her monster head is cut-off (I really like your example)

Bing is correct in stating that you don't see too many of these babies around, eh? (very cool addition)

=> Just say "NO" to Wagons!!

Caria, Kindya AR Tetrobol / Sea monster
    circa 510-480 BC
    Size: 12.6 mm
    Weight: 2 grams
    Obverse: Head of Ketos sea monster left
    Reverse: Latticework pattern in incuse
    Reference: SNG Keckman 920
    Other: A nice example with bold detail

sea monster a.jpg sea monster b.jpg

Curtisimo, Ryro, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for the extras in your write-up (always fun to read) ...

Huh, I am the exact same way ... I guess lil' cute animals just seem so innocent, ya know? ... yup, I don't think that I've ever made it through one of those National Geographic documentaries without changing the channel and then returning once I figure the carnage-scenes are finished!! (I'm sure that my cave-man family would have been vegetarians ... oh, but we'd have lots of cute farm animals to help plow the fields)

TIF likes this.
  7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Yep.
    IMO the OP is super entertaining & super educational.

TIF likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Those teeth look sharp! Glad you were the one who took this little ketos home.
    It's a nice, nice piece. Love the write up and map too.

TIF likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

zumbly and randygeki like this.
  10. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Great pictures, and a wonderful coin! Wagons are overrated :D

TIF likes this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful coin, congrats.

TIF likes this.
  12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Superb coin, and very entertaining write-up!

TIF likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool coin. The history channel, I think, did a show on this subject.

TIF likes this.
  14. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Wow TIF! This is a very interesting coin. The monster is quite menacing!

I also can't wait to see the Nero sestertius!

TIF likes this.
  15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome coin TIF, details off the chart, we have lots of Killer whales out here and have seen them feed on seals:vamp:, very awesome. we have new faces...:bag:
    I have been on spring brake with the Family, 4 sunny days and no rain.
    love the new coin, i have a few new coin's in tow..

TIF likes this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

woah...what an awesome coin. looks like that thing should be on the prow of a Viking ship over 1000 years later. even the reverse pattern kind of reminds me of that style...sort of.

[​IMG]

Curtisimo, TIF, zumbly and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted