[ancients] A couple of colts from Corinth

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Apr 15, 2014.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Heh. Thankfully in our Information Overload Age it's easy to get up to speed on just about any topic, eh. And with that, let's welcome our next speaker on sexual imagery on classical coinage... chrsmat71. He's brought pictures! :wideyed:

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It took a couple of years but now I have one too. Part of the attraction is just that I love saying "apotropaic pudenda virilia" :D

CorinthPudendaVirilia-RT.jpg
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    c. 400-375 BCE
    AR stater. 20 mm, 8.25 gm
    Obv: Pegasus flying left; qoppa below
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena right; EYO (retrograde) above; pudenda virilia behind
    Ref: Ravel 599; Calciati 155; Pegasi I p. 198, 155

Volodya, Mikey Zee, stevex6 and 8 others like this.
  5. zumbly

Took awhile, but finally, I have an apotropaic pudenda virilia buddy! Yeah, that just doesn't sound right... but who cares :D!

Oh, and since you're showing yours, I recently took new pics of mine...

Corinth Pudenda Virilia new c.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is an old thread. How did your effort to work this into daily conversation work out? Would 'Practicioner of the Apotropaic Arts' go over well in your peer group?

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I did-- couple of times in one day, soon after that post. I used the word at work and my audience is accustomed to ignoring my mutterings, especially when I use big words :D In this case they were correct to ignore me since it was a completely unnecessary sentence (I don't remember exactly how I worked it in)

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted