Ancient - One More Severus Alexander

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This is my last purchase for the month and before I leave on my trip to Rome this weekend. It's another Severus Alexander Denarius. When Mat and I traded a few weeks ago, I started looking for a nice Sev. Alexander and this one presented itself from a trusted dealer. The detail, both obverse and reverse, is outstanding and the toning is beautiful (besides, the price was right).

Severus Alexander AR Denarius
    OBV: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REV: P M TR P X COS III P P, Sol, radiate. standing left with raised hand and globe
    Struck at Rome, 231 AD
    RIC 109
    S Alexander 11.jpg

Derick, TIF, John Anthony and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I liked that coin too, real nice.

4. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Very nice Bing, a winner ;)

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great denarius, my Sol-searching friend .... Bravo Mr. Harper, Bravo!!

:cool:

Bing => you are certainly bangin'-out some total winners lately!! (great job, my coin comrade!!)

6. Bing

Thanks, but this is the last. I'll be gone for 22 days and unless I find cheap-er coins for sale in Rome (yeah right), I doubt I'll be buying any more until after my return.

I mean, just look at the detail on this baby. You can see Sol in all his glory (sort to speak). It really is a very nice denarius.

Ripley likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Enjoy Rome as a tourist. Shop for coins when you return.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Bing => hey, I hope that you and your wife have an absolutely awesome time in Rome ... you guys have had a pretty stressful/trying year, so hopefully this get-away will allow you guys to "get-it-on!!" ...

sorry dude, but you always make comments like that about my wife and I => so backatcha, my nasty, yet always fun-lovin' coin friend ... I love ya, brother!!

;)

9. Bing

You know, we're not too old yet. But you are right. It's been a tough couple of years, especially for her, but perhaps the distraction will do her some good.

Yeah, I know the coins at any reputable dealer in Rome will be expensive. But I still plan to look. There is a coin display in the basement of the National Museum that is suppose to be awesome. I will spend at least a little of my free time there.

Doug, you didn't say what you thought of this coin.

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Bing => Doug told me that he hated your new coin

;)

... that never gets old, eh?

11. Bing

Very funny Doctor Jones!! Very Funny!

12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Here, take this jealousy with you on your trip... :rolleyes:

Cool coin btw!

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

you're going to rome? heck yeah. i'm going to santa claus indiana....:oops:
    enjoy that trip!
    GREAT details on that coin, looks like it was a little chilly for sol that day....but still great details.

14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Great coin Bing! Enjoy your vacation to Rome, lots of cool things to see there. Have fun.

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Sorry to bump old threads, but I'm catching up on my friends' acquisitions after being away for the summer. That's a stunning denarius, Bing. I can't think of anything that would make it better. Fleur de coin!

16. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very nice coin jw, well done my friend...

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for bumping the thread, JA!!

=> I love adding my new coins to these old threads!!

This is my only Severus Alexander coin:

Pontus, Amasia. Severus Alexander. Æ35
    A.D. 222-235
    Civic year 228 (A.D. 228/9)
    Diameter: 35 mm
    Weight: 26.18 grams
    Obverse: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Severus Alexander right, seen from behind
    Reverse: High altar upon which eagle stands facing, head left; above, Sol in facing quadriga, holding whip; to left of altar, tree
    Reference: Dalaison 566 (D145/R439); RG 101; cf. SNG Copenhagen 119; BMC 39 (same obv. die); SNG von Aulock 6710 (same obv. die)
    Other: 12 h … Grayish-green patina under earthen deposits, light roughness. Nearly very fine

Pontus Amasia a.jpg Pontus Amasia b.jpg

18. Bing

Thanks JA and guys. Yeah, I got this coin just prior to my trip this summer, but I still marvel at the detail and condition.

Sorry it's taking me so long to post. I'm on another short business trip and will be home tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I will have a couple of new coins to post.

Draft saved Draft deleted