Ancient: Nero Upgrade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RaceBannon, Apr 15, 2014.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I just bought a new Nero. It was intended as an upgrade to my previous Nero coin; a Seleucid and Pieria minted in Antioch. Not that I didn't like that coin, it was just a bit smallish to be a good match with others in the 12 Caesars set I'm building.

Also there was the fact that it's a provincial. Not that I'm prejudiced against them, but I was looking for the entire set to be Imperial. So I bought this As minted in Lugdunum. I was drawn to the patina, the fact that it is well centered, the uniformity of the flan and the facts that the legends are all there and for the most part clearly legible. I also was intrigued by the fact that it was a bare head portrait. These seem less common. And of course, the price was right.

Yet I look at the portraits and I think I like the Antioch mint portrait better. My photos are somewhat deceiving in that they make the provincial look larger, when in fact it is quite a bit smaller than the As minted in Lugdunum. What do you ancient numismatists think?

Please use this opportunity to post your Nero Coins and thoughts on collecting this Emperor.

Nero;
    AD 54-68
    AE Semis; Seleucid and Pieria, Antioch Mint; 19mm/7.2g
    OBV; CAESAR IMP NERO CL AV, laureate head of Nero right; lituus
    REV; SC within wreath.
    RPC I 4297, SNG COP.161

Nero; 66 AD
    AE As; Lugdunum Mint; 29mm/9.3g
    Obv: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TR POT PP; Bust of Nero facing right
    Rev: SC in field; singed Victory walking left with shield emblazoned with SPQR
    (RIC 541)
    Nero Obv.JPG Nero Rev.JPG Nero As Obv.JPG Nero As Rev.JPG

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's hard to talk about an upgrade when the coins are so dissimilar. I like them both equally. I agree that the portrait on the provincial is better, but only because it's in a slightly higher grade, with a bit more detail. The portrait on the as is just as nicely-engraved, but worn down to F. At any rate, great overall coins.

RaceBannon and TIF like this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its not uncommon for provincials to have better artistry than imperials, especially after the first century. Maybe its just my eye, but to me the east seemed to have higher standards of artistic talent.

Weird, I just got an example identical to your Lugdunum piece. My reverse is poorer, but my obverse might be a tad higher grade. I didn't really "buy" it, but rather got it in a lot of coins. I also own your first coin from Antioch. It was from a seller who still sells on Ebay, I lucked into it by seeing the BuyItNow about 4 minutes after he posted it, (complete coincidence). Its my favorite example of a black patina I own.

Nice ones Race!

RaceBannon likes this.
  5. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Thanks Medoraman. Great comments. I tend to agree, the artistry is more refined on the provincial. Ultimately though, I was looking for something that fit size-wise into the other Caesars in my set I'm building.

Here's a better size comparison.
    DSC04661.JPG

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  6. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Whimsical thought...if you're a hard core republican you might view FDR as somewhat of a Nero....

Sorry Mods. I know...No politics!

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Nero actually had a ton more support throughout the empire than most people realize, (probably more than Nero himself realized). For decades, false Nero's would pop up either claiming to be Nero or his heir. He was not hated by most Romans as the old saying would have us believe. Yes, he lowered the purity of the denari to help pay for Rome's rebuilding, but not nearly as badly or often as future emperors did.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I agree with other that I prefer the provincial portrait then the other, but I like both and there is no reason you can have two coins of the same emperor. Its hard to only just do one when some have lovely portraits or cool reverses.

My neros which everyone has seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bing, Ripley, TIF and 3 others like this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Isn't it curious that despite the difference in diameter between the two coins, the bust of Nero on the provincial is almost as large as the bust on the as.

10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I like the second coin Race, to get all your coins the same size for the 12 Caesar's set. the first coin is a awesome coin too!! How many Caesar coins do you have???

RaceBannon likes this.
  11. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

My observations about the two coins:

(1) The provincial coin has been noticeably tooled in order to bring out the obverse legend and delineate the SC on the reverse -- note the "gutters" around the letters. It also appears that the obverse laurel wreath and reverse wreath have been re-engraved to give them higher relief.

The as, on the other hand, appears to have been only lightly/moderately smoothed and is, in my opinion, a much more natural-state coin.

(2) While the provincial's portrait might appear a little more artistic, the portrait on the as is reasonably good and doesn't appear to be stylistically much different from comparable asses:

6a - Nero AE As - dual.jpg
    NERO
    AE As (7.56 g.) Rome circa 64 A.D.
    NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P Radiate head of Nero right. Rev. GENIO AVGVSTI Genius naked to waist standing left, holding cornucopia, patera over lighted altar, I in exergue. RIC 215

(3) The surfaces of the provincial coin are very rough, whereas the imperial coin has fairly nice surfaces with almost no roughness or pitting.

Overall, I personally don't like the provincial at all and would not keep it in a 12 Caesars (NOT Caesar's) collection.

Ripley, Bing, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  12. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Great commentary Ides. Exactly the kind of input I was looking for. My relatively new eye never would have detected the tooling on the provincial.

I like your example. Outstanding detail.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since I am out away from books, I have an excuse to show coins with minimal attributions. I tend to prefer Nero's Imperials to the Provincials I have but I know there are many better than the budget ones I have.
    Macedon
    Magnesia ad Sipylum
    Sagalassus, Pisidia
    Antioch

Attached Files:

chrsmat71, Bing, TIF and 2 others like this.
  14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Still need Julius Caesar, Otho and Vitellius.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Bannon => those are absolutely fantastic coins!! (big-time, congrats!!)

Ummm, I also have an example that I've always kinda liked ...

nero.jpg nero2.jpg

Hey Bannon => awesome, awesome new pick-up!! (you rock, brother!!)

chrsmat71, Ripley, Bing and 3 others like this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great new coin RB....i really like provincials, but i dig that sweet legend on your new coin.

RaceBannon likes this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Both are pretty nice!

RaceBannon likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Man, I love it when Jonny Quest and Race Bannon are both in the same thread ... I'm gonna switch into my Hadji avatar for the rest of the day ...

=> oh, but because it is a holiday this weekend, I will be wearing my stunning Canada bathing-suit!! (Happy Easter!!)

19. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I am honored Hadji! But I must say...from a purely aesthetic perspective...I like your Canada flag avatar the best.:woot:

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted