Ancient: My First Stag

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My first ancient with a stags on it. Got it pretty cheap. Looks much better in hand, glossier actually.

[​IMG]
    IONIA, EPHESOS. (48 - 27 BC.)
    Æ18
    O: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis right, bow and quiver across shoulder.
    R: [ΕΦ ∆ΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΣ ΚΩΚΟΣ ΣΩΠΑΤΡΟΣ], long torch between two confronted stags.
    18mm
    4.3g
    BMC Ionia p. 69, 182; SNG Cop 342; SNGvA 1872

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, quit snaggin' my animal coins!!

;)

Very nice => I love coins from Ionia (I don't have one of these babies ... yet)

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice find! I don't know from Ionian coins, but I think the other stag versions are more common, right? The single stags and stag foreparts. You don't come across the double stag/torch type very often.

It's one of those coins where I don't think the off-center strike detracts. In fact, it adds a lot of character on account of the dotted border, which you sometimes don't see even on higher-grade examples.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. Like I said, I've only taken a brief survey of Ionian coinage.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

My Ionian deer/bee coin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

randygeki, TIF, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

yah, I think that you're correct, JA ... I think this version of stag is kinda cool & rare!! (I found a couple of examples on Wildwinds, but not nearly a common coin by any means) ...

Again => very cool pick-up!!

:rolleyes:

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice color...and two stags? that's pretty mat, sounds like a party!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ripley, stevex6 and TIF like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think my parents had that LP :D

stevex6 likes this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

cool addition

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Okay, I've waited long enough, right? (??)

=> bring-on the stag-feast!!

fabatus b a.jpg goat B.jpg goat boy b.jpg ionia ephesos b.jpg Ionia esphesos AE Bee & Stag b.jpg Ionia Klazomenai b.jpg Lucius Axius b.jpg

... eh-heh-heh ... okay fine, I admit that I threw-in goats and sheep as well ...

=> it must be the PAN in me!!?

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coin Mat. I was at Ephesus on this last trip. Fascinating.

Mat likes this.
  12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very cool Mat, i love the animal coins too!!!! Steve step away from the goats...:D

stevex6 likes this.
  13. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Ripley, chrsmat71, Bing and 3 others like this.
  14. John Anthony

I'm very interested in the animal series coins of Gallienus. When I finish my Constantine Family Tree, that's going to be my next Roman project. I'm not sure about the Greek stuff, but the Gallienus animals are not merely a celebration of natural history - they're symbolic of various deities. So it's just as much a religious series. The stag is associated with Diana, goddess of the hunt.

15. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I wish I could remember my first stag...;)

John Anthony likes this.
  16. John Anthony

Haha! Some blackouts are better left unremembered.

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Mine involved broken lamps...:confused:

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

My first stag was a complete gong-show!! ... there were 100 drunk dudes and an eager stripper in my basement (the next morning you could make-out a whipped-cream-silhouette on the wall where I'd been handcuffed to a chair) ... plus, the basement had an inch of water on the floor from the broken washing machine overflowing during the night (ummm, later I found several beer caps and the stripper's costume stuck underneath the agitator!!) ...

... yup, the marriage started-off on the wrong foot and continued down-hill until the divorce (in hindsight, it was the best thing that ever happened to me, for my second/current wife is a total rockstar!!) .... needless to say, I did "not" have a stag the second time around!!

;)

Ripley likes this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

...was i at that party stevex? i don't remember a thing about it...so it is possible. ;)

stevex6 likes this.
  20. John Anthony

You were the stripper. :eek:

stevex6 likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

chrsmat71.jpg

dang ... oops, I guess I still owe you $8 bucks, eh?!!

Ripley likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted