Ancient Change of Direction

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lately I have decided to change my direction of "buying what I like" with ancients. With some focusing on lead seals, fallen horseman and whatever else I decided to focus on building a set Lucilla & Crispina ARs. Both dont have a ton of reverse types to gather like Faustina's & Domna. Plus I havent seen anyone compile a set of them like Plautilla & Domna. I might throw in a AE of each too since they arent too expensive.

I havent decided if I wanna add minor differences to the same reverse types like Concordia w/cornucopia & without cornucopia and others with Vesta torch vs scepter. To me its too much $ for something trivial.

I already have a Lucilla & Crispina from earlier purchases and below are 2 additions to the Lucilla side.

Both are fairly scarce reverse wise, especially the Diana Lucifera. I doubt I will look for the "Standing Right" of Diana as its much scarcer.

My ebay bucks paid for the top one, which was also tough to photograph cause its darkly toned and glossy feeling to the touch like a brand new penny from a roll but it isnt waxed.

Diana reverse was a surprise win for me.

[​IMG]

Lucilla (164 - 183 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: LVCILLA AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
    R: IVNO REGINA, Juno standing left, holding patera and sceptre, peacock at her feet.
    Rome
    19mm
    3.4g
    RIC 772; RCV 41; RCV 5487

[​IMG]

Lucilla (164 - 183 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F, Draped bust right.
    R: DIANA LVCIFERA, Diana standing left holding torch with both hands.
    Rome
    17.5mm
    3.4g
    RIC 762 RSC 14 Scarce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

nice coins mat!

4. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Although I don't collect coins, this coin is why I enjoy studying Ancients.

Diana Lucifera, or bearer of light, is a deity I must research more.

The stuff on the web is weak and not very helpful:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=diana

http://grammatici.narod.ru/kalendae/may26.htm

Anyone with some real insight into Diana Lucifera?

Great coin, Matt.

guy

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks, more info at the page below.

http://www.jesterbear.com/Aradia/otherimages.html

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=diana lvcifera

Here regular name.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selene

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

The nice thing about ancients is that theres not blue folder to pt each one in, with holes of key dates missing. the only holes you have are the ones you make. Aside from "needing" a FH from 3 more mints to complete a "mint set," I have allot of room with how I'm going to go about it (asside from prefering larger to smaller FH.) There allot of non FH coins I want too :D

Both your additions are very nice, with good portraits! I like the Diana rev allot too. I'm very interested to see how your collection grows.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do like the Lucilla, too. I must admit that you got my attention when you said you where leaving FH. What is now expendable that you will be sending to Randy and I? My 'mint set' is down to -1 since my only Trier is barbarous. For others wishing to compete in the race for the falling horsemen: The type was made by 13 official mints. One of those mints changed names in the middle of the series so you probably want a coin 14 (Arles and Constantia are the same place). Everyone needs a barbarous so that is 15 coins to make a set for Constantius II. Constans, Constantius Gallus and Julian II each issued the type but not from all of the mints. Magnentius issued the type from at least one mint but sometimes we need to consider whether some of those are barbarous rather than official. All together a 'complete set' could be defined as as few as 50 coins or you could attempt to get all the minor variations which would require over 2000 coins.

Yesterday I was driving past a coin store and something told me to stop. They even had a Crispina sestertius but no falling horsemen. I did not even ask the price since Antonine women have never been a great interest and I have way too many bids outstanding now as it is. My concern is how many other coin shops I drove by without stopping and which one of them had my Trier or even a Magnentius?

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Huh Doug? I was never in the FH set race. I mentioned you two as well as Bill and others inspired me to focus on building a set of Lucilla & Crispina coinage. I only have the one FH in my collection.

The only thing I was changing gears on was "buying what I like".

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think its healthy to change gears periodically. I find it freshens up your passion for collecting. If I had to stay in one small area of collecting for any length of time I probably would have quit a long time ago. I tend to cycle through civilizations and centuries more than subsections of Romans, but its the same idea. I have never understood those collectors who can collect morgan dollars or lincoln cents exclusively for years.

PLus, concentrating on empresses doesn't surprise me, I have always said you had something about the lady's Mat. :)

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Well Mat, if you are going to focus on something, then focus on the ladies.
    Seriously now, what you are doing seems like a reasonable thing to do, and I wish I could as you. However, even after 35 years of collecting, I still have too many different areas of coin-collecting passion, I don't see myself narrowing down anytime soon - Early US coins, Spanish Colonial, Roman 1st and 2nd century, and of course 18th century German all captivate me.
    I know my wife would like me to, though........

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I still recommend only buying coins you like whether generally or coins you like that fit your specialty. I have way too many coins I bought because I thought I should. I have liked a number of really ugly coins (mostly rare stuff) but buying coins just because I didn't have one it leads to a bad case of too many coins.

12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Mat - do you have any seals yet? That's an interesting area to look into!

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nope, there has been a few on bargain bin ancients I liked but I pick coins over them. But I do have a interest in them.

14. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Not wanting to bore anyone, but here is some more information about Diana.

Diana Lvcifera coinD.jpg diana-160x294.jpg

From our friends at UNRV.com:

Here's an interesting aside:

Diana’s name comes from the Indo-European root di-, which means “shining” or “light.” Her many epithets include:
    Diana Lucina (Goddess of childbirth)
    Diana Aventinensis (of the Aventine)
    Diana Caelistis (celestial)
    Diana Nemorensis (of the woods)
    Diana Omnivaga (wandering one)
    Diana Opifera (aid bringer)
    Diana Venatrix (huntress and mistress of wild animals)
    Diana Tifatina (of the town of Tifata)
    Diana Lucifera (bringer of light)
    Diana Latonia (from her mother, Latona)
    Diana Ortygia (born on the island or Ortygia, the Roman name for Delos where Artemis was born)

http://www.goddessaday.com/roman/diana

15. medoraman

And that is the reason many of us left other collecting anyway. For my taste, there is way too much "hole filling" in US and modern collecting. If I don't like a coin, I am not buying it, and I don't care who says I "need" it. :)

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Well I still have a interest in other areas of Ancients & I still enjoy my modern world coins & some U.S. but I am pretty much done with those since I need 18th century coppers, silvers & nearly all the gold is way beyond my means.

I also would like more Roman Republics.

I thought about this sub set for several days and its something I want to do right now. It may not be something most other collectors would probably go for but I want too. :)

17. medoraman

That's why we can all be ancient collectors at the same time man. I have tons of subsets I imagine a lot of other ancient collectors would not be very interested in either. Some of Doug's subsets are cool, others I probably wouldn't do either. Its all good. :) I consider any ancient collector a friend, and even if I am not excited by his/her particular collection, I am dang glad they are here and participating.

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, and I am glad to be posting on a board with fellow collectors I can share most of my new purchases with, even if it isnt something they're interested in, lol ;)

19. swish513

so much love on here. i've seen some ancients i'm personally not fond of, but the coins are still cool in their own way. gotta feel the love between the ancient collectors.

what is the fh race?

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Fallen Horseman ancients. I don't specialize in them but others do. Alot to learn with them alone :O

21. swish513

i know fh = fallen horseman. what is the race with them??

Draft saved Draft deleted