ANCIENT: Caligula

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Aug 12, 2013.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Mine looks pretty similar. I just got an inexpensive example off of Frank Robinson's bargain list one time to say I had one. If I collected Romans I might wish to upgrade, but as it is its fine to have an example.

Much prefer Mat's though. :)

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Fantastic coin, Mat ...

Wow, you are certainly buyin' up a few sweet coins lately! (nicely played, brother ... nicely played)

Ummm, well I'm gonna toss-in my smelly ol' Vesta-coin as well ... enjoy!!

caligula a.jpg caligula b.jpg

Honestly => I really love this coin (these good ol' Caligula coins) ... yah, I know that Caligula isn't the rarest ruler by any means, but he certainly was one of the most "interesting" ... man, it must have been a scary time back then, eh?

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This is a very engaging thread - thanks to all who posted coins and took part in the conversation.

I'm curious: how often do you find tooling and/or smoothing in LRBs? Or is it an issue that only collectors of earlier Roman coins worry about?

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Watch out on the scarcer rulers and larger coins, but in general, the common Constantine bronzes, especially those from Western mints, are untouched. Now, if you are looking for a Procopius or large Julian II, be cautious.

Ancientnoob and John Anthony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted