Anacs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

:eek: That is plain scary.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not really - a slab with the wrong label happens from time to time at all of the TPG's.

4. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

I have a strange feeling that the label isn't wrong. I've been hearing stories about twisting the new ANACS slabs with your bare hands to pop them open. Maybe he's showing us that he replaced the coin???

5. airedale

airedale New Member

Here is a Good Example!

I agree with GDJMSP. I think this is a SMS and not a business strike and sent it back to the service for re-evaluation. The terminology does not match. Stuff happens. Don't shoot this reverend ANACS service just yet. I am going through a business move also and it is not easy, but necessary for the future.

Attached Files:

6. SapperNurse

SapperNurse DOD enhanced

It may be just me but I think the ability to trust the big TPGs is slowly eroding. I have heard

a few horror stories about PCGS in the past, and now I am hearing more of the horror stories

concerning ANACS. The one and only real dealer we have in my town is leary of the newer ANACS

slabs. He has no problems in dealign with the older ones, but the way he treats the new slabs is the same

way he treats any second or third tier TPG ( ICC, UGS, SGS<not lol>) I guess it is the human factor

as long as humans are used mistakes willbe made.

Now is the time for the machines of the world to unite lol

7. GDJMSP

You might be correct, that's why I posted my first response. But this is an example of what I was talking about -

Attached Files:

8. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

At least the PCGS label indicated a coin from the same country.

9. GDJMSP

Don't think for a minute that PCGS hasn't made the same mistake, they have. That's just one I happen to have a pic of.

10. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

I understand and completely agree. I had two Morgan dollars in PCGS holders with the wrong dates on the labels. They were common dates and graded MS63. I actually bought the holder and not the coin! There's just something about Charlie32's phrase "tamper evident". Maybe I'm just overly suspicious. Hopefully he can give more details to clarify.

11. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

I was able to open the ANACS holder and replace the coin in it with a different coin.

Charlie

12. GDJMSP

Must admit I'm quite surprised to hear this. This would the first confirmed case of such an event I have ever heard of - with any of the top TPG's.

Have you told ANACS about it ? And if so what was their response ? Because if you haven't I'm going to.

13. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Nope, I haven't talked with ANACS yet. I am going to take it and a few other coins to the CSNS show and see what ANACS has to say.

Charlie

14. GDJMSP

Was this the only slab you were able to do whatever you did - and no I don't want you to say what that was here - or did you even try ?

15. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

I just tried it with the shield nickel slab, because I am going to send the nickel to NGC.

Charlie

16. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Would it be able to fool a collector or are there any signs of replacement?

17. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

If you looked at the edge closely, you could tell that it had been opened.

Charlie

18. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I will never use ANACS ever again. They have now had my package 7 business days, and my fiance today was told that it would probably be about 4 days before they even get to the 5 day packages. I will never use these people ever again, and in fact I hope PCGS and NGC put them out of business.

19. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Would PCGS or NGC have been any better? Just curious, because it sounds like they all take their own sweet time even when they say it'll be fast turnaround. Are they offering to make up for the delay in any way? Seems to me they should.

20. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

SGS, ICC, NTC, anyplace would have been better I am sure. I would rather send my coins to SGS at this point than ANACS.

21. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Part of the reason I am annoyed, is they have a coin that is worth between 2-3k, and I have to move to California, and need to sell it with some other stuff in order to move.

Draft saved Draft deleted